Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wake up nr's/friends & even residents of ia - governor tags this legislation session

Does anyone know how many NR tags go to NRLOs or their friends? Thought of this while rapping in the shower!

I think it's like 10 or 15 thousand maybe? The # way this number will increase is from the FIGHT that's going to come when folks go from a wait or 2-3 years and the demand increase pushes it to a 6+ year wait. that's exactly where a fight is brewing - when that happens. Mark my words- we'll be there soon and all bets are off as we keep pushing for higher & higher demand thru our marketing program.

I think it's like 10 or 15 thousand maybe? The # way this number will increase is from the FIGHT that's going to come when folks go from a wait or 2-3 years and the demand increase pushes it to a 6+ year wait. that's exactly where a fight is brewing - when that happens. Mark my words- we'll be there soon and all bets are off as we keep pushing for higher & higher demand thru our marketing program.

With everyone complaining about deer numbers I don't see this happening. It's only going to take nr one time to figure out how shitty the hunting has gotten across the state. The smart ones will realize its not worth the time and money and quit applying/coming. I also don't believe these celeb tags are bringing crowds to iowa. I understand that millions of people see these guys kill giants but most of them probably have it figured out they are hunting prime ground. When I watch guys kill monster elk on tv I don't pack my bags and head to the state they killed it. One reason being it would probably take me six years to draw in the area they are hunting. So I think the longer the draw gets the less people are going to apply so it will balance itself out. That along with the number of NRs that hunt here once and see that it's not what they thought it was will keep the draw odds the same.

What do you think the causes are from the wait for tags being every other year in 2006-ish or so to every 4 years or so? Whatever the exact dates & exact #'s, not 100% sure but about like that. I hunted Iowa as an NR many years ago before I moved here and it was absolutely, no problem to draw every other year.

Hey Fletch, everyone's facts are wrong but yours. In my neighborhood one of my resident farmers buys every piece of land he can. I'm surprised I wiggled in when I did without him gobbling it up first. His cattle and crop operation has gained acreage since I've known him. According to you every farmer and hunter in Iowa is in the soup line because of NRLO's. I call B******t. The more you scream about resident displacement the more the politicians are inclined to listen. It's mostly hot air minus tangible facts.

I have news for you outfitting and leasing would have come to Iowa with or without NR's. NRLO's are an easy target but as time passes more and more resident hunters from urban areas, or residents who don't want to invest the money to own realize the value of rec ground and utilize the lease or an outfitter. So where do you draw your battle lines then? I - 80? Residents above the interstate would be considered ubanites and not permitted to own or lease? What you're trying to prevent is/was inevitable. History predicts the future and every good hunting state in the country has experienced the same whether by resident or non-resident hunting influx. Either adapt by owning, leasing, knowing a landowner, or be left scratching for access. It sucks but its obvious.

I'd be fine with nrlo's, in fact if we'd ban out fitters, it would be a fair trade.

Look at units in other states for draw odds. The better unit almost all take 5 plus years to draw a tag. IA is not unique in that regard. Get over it.

I don't understand why NR are moaning and groaning. Buy land in a state that allows u to hunt it every year. That's the law.

Are you referring to whitetails? Where does it take 5 years to hunt whitetail?

Archery? FIrearm?

He's talking about an elk draw which is apples and oranges.

Not really. There are plenty of OTC opportunities for elk. He's talking about a chance at a quality hunting experience. Which many people have unrealistic expectations about when they think Iowa deer hunting.

I did not say there was. I said QUALITY HUNTING EXPERIENCE. Which is what people are looking for when they come to hunt Iowa. The perception is Iowa is a top tier deer hunting destination. If I were comparing it to an ELK destination I do not think it would be a stretch to look at AZ or NM. 5 years is not even going to get you a sniff at a top draw elk unit.
I think one of the reasons people get so butt hurt about the Iowa draw is because we're talking about deer. Something they have at home. If they looked at it not just for what the animal is but what they perceive the opportunity to be a 4 year wait is no big deal.
Of course, I do not expect that to change the opinion of a NRLO.

Life in the woods was WAY better before all the "super cool" people were doing it ! Before trail cams , the naming of "pet deer" , hundreds of T.V. shows , celebrities , major leasing , land wars , the shed hunting rage , and on and on ........... That is a fact !!! Our problems in the woods seem to grow every year , I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.
exactly, commercilaization can destroy anything.

Life in the woods was WAY better before all the "super cool" people were doing it ! Before trail cams , the naming of "pet deer" , hundreds of T.V. shows , celebrities , major leasing , land wars , the shed hunting rage , and on and on ........... That is a fact !!! Our problems in the woods seem to grow every year , I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.
The flip side of the coin is a more educated hunter and land steward which led to older and higher scoring bucks.

Spot on... killling a big deer never made anyone a better man. "Life in the woods" was a lot more enjoyable when it was about the hunt and challenge, not showing-off on social media.

Spot on... killling a big deer never made anyone a better man. "Life in the woods" was a lot more enjoyable when it was about the hunt and challenge, not showing-off on social media.

Yep just odd to me that people are complaining about what these celebs are doing when most of them are following in their footsteps. I guess I'm even guilty of it from time to time. Just look at all the threads complaining about mature buck numbers. A lot of times we take for granted the opportunity we have to be in the woods and enjoy what it has to offer. I've said it before and I will say it again. Deer hunting in general is heading in a downward cycle. Not just for one reason but for a number of reasons combined. Hopefully some day it will bounce back to what it was but it's going to take a lot if time in my area.

Hey Fletch, everyone's facts are wrong but yours. In my neighborhood one of my resident farmers buys every piece of land he can. I'm surprised I wiggled in when I did without him gobbling it up first. His cattle and crop operation has gained acreage since I've known him. According to you every farmer and hunter in Iowa is in the soup line because of NRLO's. I call B******t. The more you scream about resident displacement the more the politicians are inclined to listen. It's mostly hot air minus tangible facts.

I have news for you outfitting and leasing would have come to Iowa with or without NR's. NRLO's are an easy target but as time passes more and more resident hunters from urban areas, or residents who don't want to invest the money to own realize the value of rec ground and utilize the lease or an outfitter. So where do you draw your battle lines then? I - 80? Residents above the interstate would be considered ubanites and not permitted to own or lease? What you're trying to prevent is/was inevitable. History predicts the future and every good hunting state in the country has experienced the same whether by resident or non-resident hunting influx. Either adapt by owning, leasing, knowing a landowner, or be left scratching for access. It sucks but its obvious.

The fact that I live here and have been involved with the ag industry for 24 years might mean I know a little something about the current state of affairs and trends. I have only pointed out some things that you and others don't ever want to listen to or discuss. Typical. You like to distort everything that anyone says that does not fit your agenda. You seem to think it will discount our views. You are fooling yourself if you think its working.

ONE farmer in your neighborhood does not constitute a statewide trend. lol

The hot air seems to be coming mostly from your NRLO agenda. I have only pointed out facts and concerns from first hand experience and observations. The only comment I made about outfitters leasing is that it was not our primary concern so I have no clue why your rant was directed at me to begin with. Seems like you just want to be the loudest in the room and hope to get your way. Please just stop, its an old, tired, and painfully obvious tactic.

Its a dead horse anyway. NRLO's don't get preference and I have yet to talk to anyone in power that cares to change that. Dead horse.

I was just thinking how much better the fishery in Minnesota would be if a non-resident fishing license was $550+ and took 3 years to draw. Cap it at 10-15k nr a year. If you own a lakeshore cabin, tough hop, wait your 3 years like every other nr. We would have 60" muskies and 30" walleyes in every other lake. Demand for lakeshore cabins would drop as nr ownership would decline. Lakeshore and cabin prices would reflect the decrease in demand making it much more affordable for the average Joe. It would have a huge economic impact on some of the small towns that rely on tourist $ and it would drive most of the resort owners and fishing guides out of business. What do I care, I live here and fishing would be off the hook(no pun intended). Do I really think this would be a good idea? No, I don't......sure sounds familiar though doesn't it?

I was just thinking how much better the fishery in Minnesota would be if a non-resident fishing license was $550+ and took 3 years to draw. Cap it at 10-15k nr a year. If you own a lakeshore cabin, tough hop, wait your 3 years like every other nr. We would have 60" muskies and 30" walleyes in every other lake. Demand for lakeshore cabins would drop as nr ownership would decline. Lakeshore and cabin prices would reflect the decrease in demand making it much more affordable for the average Joe. It would have a huge economic impact on some of the small towns that rely on tourist $ and it would drive most of the resort owners and fishing guides out of business. What do I care, I live here and fishing would be off the hook(no pun intended). Do I really think this would be a good idea? No, I don't......sure sounds familiar though doesn't it?

Start lobbying, at least you guys would be pushing something to improve your state rather than trying to change the neighbors.

I've brought this up before, but it's always apples to oranges, yet some guys on this site compare Iowa deer to elk, one actually compared it to bighorn sheep.

I'm pretty much over the whole R vs. NR debate but but I'll respond. A coveted draw tag is a coveted draw tag. Your free to lobby for what you want in your own state. Tourist fishing in your state is a real industry deer hunting here is not. Your a smart guy. You really don't need the differences spelled out for you.

Top Bottom