Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Want to hunt Iowa trophies

Stu

I am a teacher and have been a member of iowawhitetail since early fall and really enjoy seeing the photos of many harvested Iowa bucks and reading many topics people bring up. Being from WI, hunting land is very precious. Where I live there are two areas of public land that I can hunt on and over the past 3 years, I have found there to be more bowhunters hunting there then there are whitetails let alone trophy bucks. I have also tried knocking on doors asking for permission to hunt, but time and time again have been refused. Either because someone else is already hunting there or because of bad past experiences with other hunters. I have one main goal right now and that is to harvest a trophy whitetail (130 or better) with a bow. My biggest problem is locating them. This year, a friend and I leased 120 acres along the Mississippi River in hopes to have a close encounter with a trophy whitetail. (I know what alot of you are saying right now about leasing, but it my options are very limited.) After many hours in the field scouting, hunting, using game trail cameras, etc. neither of us even saw one "shooter" buck. Here is my question for you. Does any one have any suggestions on me being able to hunt trophy whitetails in Iowa. I know being from WI, people from IA may not welcome me with open arms. However, If anyone would be willing to help a fellow bowhunter in any way shape or form, it would be greatly appreciated.

Stu, as far as I am concerned, any dedicated, ethical hunter is more than welcome to come visit us in Iowa. My out of state friends tell me it is not that hard to knock on doors and find places to hunt here. Public lands can be quite good. Some get pretty crowded at certain times while others are underutilized. P&Y size deer can most likely be found most anywhere in Iowa if you look hard enough, even on public lands. I'd suggest you focus on a non-resident zone to hunt, find some public and private lands to hunt in that zone, and start applying for a tag.

Stu,

I hunt Illinois every year and Iowa every year I can get drawn and Ohio when I can't get drawn in Iowa. I can give you some tips to getting access to land in Iowa, Illinois, Ohio or any other state for that matter.

First and foremost be ready to get discouraged! I can't tell you how many: miles, tanks of gas, roads I've been on and doors I've knocked on. I can tell you one thing though, if I had a quarter for every door I've knocked on I could retire ver comfortly right now and I am only 26 years young! The first thing I do is pick an area or county that I want to be hunting in have a back-up area in mind also. Once you have your area picked out drive there on the weekend knock on every farm house door you can find and everywhere that has a NEW CADIALAC in the drive-way. I know you are thinking CADIALAC???? Let me tell you 90% of the time, the people that drive Cadialac's are older, older people tend to own land. 99% of the time they own a lot of land!!! Thousands of acres with almost all of my experiences! If I were you I would knock on some doors in my home state first or head north to the "BIG WOODS". I have often considered going to your state to hunt some of its fine deer! I have a buddy from Oklahoma that knocks down a "Good One" every year and a "Monster" every once in a while in WI. You might die whe you see how much a bow tag in Iowa costs to! It has become the most expensive State to hunt for Whitetails( $321.75 ). Its worth it to me because I have an awesome spot to hunt and I am really good friends with the guy that owns the land.

Keep one thing in mind before you go knocking on doors. You might knock on a hundred doors before you find someone that will let you hunt! Or you might get lucky and the very first door you knock on you get permission! I have had it happen to me both ways. Be prepared for some people not to be very nice in any state, I have ran into anti-hunters in every state. Be nice and keep smiling! Kill'em with kindnees, even the one's that are nasty!

Once you have a spot always take a few minutes to talk to the land owner! Becareful not to hurt anything on the land, if in doubt walk! Help the land owner out if you see opportunity, they love that. Then your building a relationship with the landowner and this secures land for the future! I love to talk to people I haven't ever met or don't live around. Its fun just to through questions at each other!

I wish you the best of luck!

Guys,

Thanks for the great tips. I will definitely keep them in mind in my search for new parcels of land. It is advice and comments like this that keeps me coming back to this website.

Thanks again and have a Happy Holidays!!!

Baby-G if you get a chance drop me an e-mail at [email protected]. I have some friends in Williamstown who take some nice deer there and I am interested in where your friend from Oklahoma is located.

Stu, where did you lease that land-I have a farm in Vernon Co.(WI). Just curious if your close. There have been some awesome deer taken in last couple of years in my general area! I might be able to help with the public land issue?

Stu, There's a public area called Rush Creek, its between DeSoto and Ferryville. The area is approx. 1800 acres, but the State is trying to expand it by 5900 more acres! Very tough terrain to hunt (you need to be in real good shape!) But there have been some excellent deer taken in and around the property! What are your neighbors like-as far as QDM goes? How large is the piece your currently leasing? My place is outside of DeSoto. Try some trail cameras as well-its like Christmas every day with those things!

Dwags,
I agree getting a roll of film back is awsome you never know what you will find.

Dwags,

My buddy and I leased land roughly 5 miles SW of Viroqua. We saw quite a few bucks, but like I said in the previous post, none were shooters. Any ideas???

Dwags,

My buddy and I leased 120 acres. When we were looking at this property from an aerial photo, we noticed it was a pinch point directly inbetween to large pieces of timber. On opening day of gun season, it sounded like WW III for about four to five hours. We then talked to people in the surrounding areas and you could definitely tell they were not into QDM. Thanks for the info. by the DeSoto area. I will definitely look into it.

Top Bottom