Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Was it a good hit?

JK

PMA Member
A friend of mine is bummed. He hit a nice deer above the vitals, below the spine. (Just a little high) He waited 3 hours to track. About 300 yards he jumped it and watch it run over the hill which was a huge cornfield. There was a patch of blood in the bed. Will he find this deer with-in a mile? Will he find it dead?

Just curious; how low is the spine anyway. If it did hit above any chance of recovery?

26spine.jpg

You can see in this picture how low the spinal cord is... there is quite a bit of room to go over it... I know from personal experience...
doah.gif
If in fact, that is where the deer was hit he will recover fine provided no infection sets in.

He was afraid of that. Lot's of blood right away, but lost it. No kill area above the spine.

Sounds like he stuck it just above the spine, it is a good 5-6 inches from the top of the back so plenty of room to get an arrow in there. And you usually get alot of initial bleeding and then it quits. What did the blood look like, did it water up as it was quiting, alot of times I have seen it get watery as it was healing. However, if I was your buddy I wouldn't give up the search just in case it was a good hit and just one tough SOB.

Kratz

Top Bottom