Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Was this Doe safe to eat???

SCOFFIN

Miles Coffin
Our group shot what looked like a perfectly healthy doe this weekend, but when we opened it up, there was a watery yellow mass of guck attached to one lung. All the muscle looked great, just isolated to the lung. We left it lay and called the DNR as they advised not eating it. Anybody seen this before?

picture.php

Did it smell bad? Could have been an old blood clot (they are yellow once the cells settle out) from being bumped by a car resulting in a bleed into the chest. Doesn't look like real infected material. I'll bet the coyotes don't get sick from eating it.

Who knows what it was. Meat could have been fine, but the DNR isn't going to get itself in legal issues by telling you it was OK to eat, then its on them if you get sick.

My guess is they have a common answer of "no" to all people who call and ask about meat questions???

We Had that with a buck this year. It was in the meat though and it popped open when we were cutting it up. It was gross. My borther actually puked.

I heard a lot of guys finding this inside their deer from these last few Weeks of gun season. When they found this they also noticed the hooves were cracked and regrowing below the cracks. I guess its believed to be that the deer had survived EHD.

Could be the same situation I believe

Did it smell bad? Could have been an old blood clot (they are yellow once the cells settle out) from being bumped by a car resulting in a bleed into the chest. Doesn't look like real infected material. I'll bet the coyotes don't get sick from eating it.

Nope, smelled normal, even when we cut into the guck.. dnr said they might come out and take samples to test...

Certainly could be a result of EHD. Deer could certainly get fluid accumulation in the pleural space (chest) from EHD and on recovery the clotted fluid would remain for quite a while and look just like this. For future reference, if it stinks, don't eat it. If it does not stink, I would not worry about eating it.

Top Bottom