Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Washing backpacks and safety harnesses

iowabucks

I was just wondering how everybody washes certain items that just don't do well in the washing machine.

I use a front loading washer and always use some kind of scent killing detergent.

Like my Muddy safety harness. I really don't want to just throw it into the washing machine and have the clips and other hard objects bangin around in the machine. Sometimes I just hang it outside and just soak it down in scentkiller. Is this good enough? I have sweated pretty good in this harness from time to time.

And my Badlands 2200. After I take out the aluminum support bars, I used to just throw it in the toploader I also have, but it seemed like most of it floated anyway. I would have to stop it and sink the backpack many times throughout the cycle. How well would my frontloader work for this? Or is this just another item that would be best to give it a "scentkiller bath"?

What does everyone else do to wash these hard to handle items?

I just mix some scent free soap in a bucket and wash my harness and backpack the old fashion way. I then hang them out to dry.

After I thought about it, I figured that would be the best way. Just soak it in a bucket of water and scent free soap before scrubbing.

Do you think washing it may be bad for the fabric and make it unsafe?

For my 2200 I just take the aluminum frame out, fill the bathtub up with water and baking soda and borax...hand wash then let dry outside.

I washed my harness last year in my top load washing machine.. simply duct tape the buckled harness to the "agitator" and allow the rest of the harness to submerge in water and soap.. wash on a delicate cycle.. worked great..

With backpacks, harnesses, or boots I usually set them outside for 3 or 4 days and hit them with a healthy dose of scent killer a few times. I like to let it rain on them and then let them air dry and hit them with scent killer again before they go in the field for the season.

In a pinch I've also smoked out packs and outerwear downwind of burning leaves.

My goal in the next few years is to build a dedicated clothesline next to the garage protected by an awning or doghouse style roof. I'd like to be able to leave all my camo hung outside through bow season without having the sun fading it out.

All my things from calls, clothes, backpack, and harness all go into two different tubs that have cedar limbs cut and placed in them. I smell like a evergreen and seems to work just fine for me.

I replace the limbs every so often, its an old trick but cheap and for a person that doesn't get to go out much it works fine.

I use lingerie bags for anything that has buckles and put them in the front load washer. They are cheap mesh bags with a zipper that keeps the buckles and straps from whipping around. I found them at Walmart. I always hang dry these items after they are washed to avoid hearing them bang around in the dryer.

Top Bottom