Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

washing clothes 2

Waddell Wannabe

Quick Trigger
I usually wash my clothes in a fresh earth scent but I don't have scentLok bag to put them in. Is that a necessity? What other ideas do you have? I don't want to just leave them in the shed or outside for fear of gas smell or rain.

What i usually do is wash them in scent free detergent....hang them outside to dry....then put them in a lawn bag with oak leaves for the remainder of the year....I dress/undress outside of my house and it seems to work for me...Of course, alittle white lightning works when I get to my stand!!

FF

I'm starting to think like lonewolf and call it all hokus pokus. I washed everything in scent free detg. hung outside to dry, stored in a rubbermaid container. Last night upon arrival I got them out of the container, sprayed them down and then did the same with my rubber boots. Let's just say, there was virtually no wind and I still got busted by a doe that got a little whiff of me somehow. Needless to say, i didn't see a single buck and my chances of scoring just dropped a bit more.

I believe from now on I'll forget all about this scent free bit, go back to my old ways and strictly playing the wind, no ifs and ands or buts b/c you cannot get scent free, save your $$$.

I use a rubbermaid tub as well, but I also line the top of the tub with weather stripping to keep it water and scent proof.

I know what you mean Sask, but I still try and do my best to keep scent-free. For every time keeping scent-free has helped, there has been ten times it didn't do a thing for me. I do believe it helps me keep my entry trail free from notice though and that in itself is enough reason for me to keep it up. If for nothing else I've done this scent-free thing for too many years to change it -- gives me something to do 'til the skeeters die.
grin.gif

I do minimal scent control. Then usually hope in the pickup with my buddy and he lights up a smoke, so do I. We then get out spray down(he usues HS I use ghost). Then hang a few wafers on ourselves. Typically we don't get busted. I had a doe within 10 ft of me on Sunday evening for 15 minutes. Not to mention I was on the ground.

I think you can only do so much, and the rest is in natures hands. Wind I believe is the biggest factor. I did a lot of kicking around clearing out leaf and limb litter, maybe that stirred up the fresh earth scent and helped cover me.

Oh and so I'm not to far off topic. I scent free, ghost rinse, then I hang my clothing along my wood stack in the basement. I'll do something else once I fire up the wood stove though.

I play the scent control game and my Dad makes fun of me for it. He's been deer hunting 40 years and has never paid any attention to scent control.

His favorite story I've heard more than once was this. He sat in a stand from before sunrise till 11:00 am. During this time he (1)drank an entire thermos of coffee, (2)peed out of his stand a half dozen times, (3) smoked a half a pack of smokes and threw the butts on the ground beneath him. At 11:00, He walked to the truck to eat his lunch. After lunch, he walked back to the stand and found the BIGGEST BUCK HE HAS EVER SEEN bedded within 10 feet of his stand. The buck ran and he stood there in disbelief as he had left his gun in the stand.

I don't believe this story was exagerated in any way but I for one am not willing to take those kind of chances.

My dad also told me that back in the day, whenever that was, all the hunting books/mags recommended urinating from your stand. They considered it a curiosity scent for bucks. If I gotta pee when I'm in the stand, I do. I don't know that it has ever hurt me or helped.

Your right Sask. I have said for years that it is 100% impossible to be 100% scent free. I use all the precautions. but I know alot of times it don't help. Just spraying alot is about the best that can be done. I always dress when I get out of the truck also. Don't know if helps. But can't hurt.

thanks a lot guys. I'd tried using a garbage bag for years, got busted a few times, and then it hit me- if scent can come OUT through the bag (you can smell garbage), it can probably go into it just as easy. I think I'll try the plastic box and weather stripping. thanks again.

Top Bottom