Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Washing your clothes

kevpann

PMA Member
I was wondering how you guys and gals wash your hunting clothes. I have used scent free detergents for a few years. The thing about doing this is I worry about all the other detergents that might be left over in the washing machine. Like in the softner compartment. I'm thinking about doing it in a clean bucket, then still drying them to activate my scent lock. What are some of your washing procedures?

I thought about the same problem the other night. The washer already smells like your other detergents. I ran the washer with nothing in it but the scent free soap before I ran it with my clothes actually in it. I think it helped quite a bit.

I always spray both out with ghost and then run both washer and dryer through a complete cycle empty. After that I scrub them both with a rag and some more ghost and laundry detergent, then wash my clothes. I always start the wash my base layers or socks and t-shirts fist load then all outer layers in another. Plus I use a unscented soap that Central Iowa turned me onto for all day to day laundry also.

I use unscented detergent for my regular clothes all year long. My regular detergent also has no optical brighteners. No drier sheets in the drier ever. If you touch me you might get shocked, but my clothes won't smell like freakin' Tide.
grin.gif

Don't know if any of your wives will go along with this plan...

I alway run a load of scent free towels and drive to the hunt clothing through first. You need the scent free towel after your scent free shower and you need clean clothing on until you get the go to the stand stuff on. The drive to the hunt stuff is great for hanging stands and then back to the truck for a quick change into some unsoiled duds. Can you go over board? SHAVE YOUR BODY HAIR.
grin.gif
Who does that?

I could get shocked if I touch you Kat????? I'll leave that alone...for now anyways
grin.gif
grin.gif

I use tide free detergent from mid september thru the rest of the winter and like Kat said, no fabric softener sheets. I wash my hunting clothes in the stuff HS makes then if weather permits, I let it hang dry on the line (a rain or two helps out as well)

Prior to entering the woods, I hit all the garments with Ghost SES...seems to work out.

I really dont do anything, in fact i do the number 1 no-no. I get my scent blocker suit on and then hop on the 4 wheeler and head to the stand. Lol how stupid am I. I spend $320 on a special scent blocker suit and then where it on the 4 wheeler out to the woods. DUH I still see a lot of deer though, and a lot of big bucks. But that could also be because i hunt the timber right by a golf course and they are used to smelling people. I dont know.

I never wash my clothes during season. I'll wash in August (scent free soap) and then stick them in a spruce tree for a month. From there they go into a plastic box with spruce boughs. Works darned good. Just took a bear directly down wind at 15 yards. It came in twice so I know he didn't smell anything at all.

Wow scent free tide with no fabric softner or dryer sheets. Theirs No Way my wife would go for that. So far I'm thinking a bucket sounds like the solution for me. The spruce sounds like a good idea but I don't have any in my hunting area and it wouldn't get rid of your scent though just try to cover it up.

Deerboy, I put some baking soda in the washing machine and run a cycle through with no clothes. Then I was my hunting clothes before the season with baking soda and hang them out to dry. I never wash them again unless something happens where I think the clothes have been contaminated with sent. I wash my regular clothes that I wear under my camo (jeans, socks, etc...) before each use.

Top Bottom