Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Washington County Hunting?

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Ok, I found a few public area's there to hunt:
http://co.washington.ia.us/departments/conservation/parks.htm

English River Wildlife Area looks to be the most promising spot
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you enjoy hunting, trapping, hiking, or horseback riding in areas which are rugged and undeveloped, then the English River Wildlife Area is for you. This 673 acre mini-wilderness features the junction of the North English and South English Rivers, several marshes, and a good interspersion of bottomland timber, crops, and grassland.

Primarily managed for wildlife, the English River Wildlife Area attracts huntable populations of waterfowl, deer, and pheasant. It also contains small numbers of wild turkey, squirrel, and rabbits. Trapping and hunting for raccoon is especially popular there, with some fox, mink, muskrat, and coyote also being harvested.

Non-game enthusiasts will find large populations and diversity of a wide range of wildlife species. Bird species range from bluebirds to marsh wrens, plants from duck weed to oak trees, and animals from shrews to white-tailed deer.

Parking areas are located along the south and west ends of the area. Be sure to include your compass, waterproof boots, and insect repellant as you explore this area.

Northwest corner of county. On Highway 22, take Birch Ave. north. On 120th St., either continue north or turn left to other sections</div></div>

ERWA.jpg

erwa.png

I hunted this property on Saturday. Lots of deer in the field eating corn when I got there at 5am. Its an interesting spot to hunt. In the upper left of the picture is a huge marsh with a dike like damn all around it. The deer bed down in the woods to the east by the river. They come around the marsh to the North or South to get to the Corn fields. I started the morning out around 5:30 on a little dirt mound with some saplings on it. Resembled a Bever hut. I had marsh behind me on 3 sides and I was facing the dike. About 6am I herd something come walking along the dike. Pitch black down there as there are no big city lights around. I herd the one deer walk all the way around me and hed down into the corn field. Too dark for a shot.

I walked the entire property later that day. Jumped up several in the woods, but the snow was too crunchy to get close enough for any shots. The two rivers basically bottles these deer up in this area, I think a party of 2 or 3 guys could really be successful in this area.

During the late morning, I drove around the area, and I came up on a herd of 20+ deer out in a big cornfield a few miles south of the hunting ground. The herd tracked along about a mile and crossed right in front of me into the only real hilly woods in the area. Some pretty deep draws. I talked to the neighbors about the property, and they said it was owned by a crabby old lady who doesnt allow hunting. I drove down the road, and you could see that herd of deer bed down on the next ridge over.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom