Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

waterfowl dates

hotshott2289

anyone else middy upset about the goose season dates.. I know i am. the season in the south zone closes jan 9 before deer season even does. Thats pretty disappointing to me as they have it open in all of october and november when there are no numbers of birds around. The big push always hits us around thanksgiving-first season shotgun. They then keep the lakes open well into late winter, i always look forward to getting to chase honkers after the 10th for a good solid week.. just a major let down and hence the rant

Don't even get me started.......

Much like with our deer herd, Iowa seems to have their head so far up their A** it's unbelievable. Out of those 60 days for ducks, 15 of them will consist of sweating your balls off and seeing who can kill the most mesquites in the group. I'm still confused as to why south zone re-opens before north.

The goose ending date has to do with the set amount of days given and opening on a Saturday just the way the days in the year fall this year; however it still honestly makes no sense to end on a friday. I'd much rather see it structured like the dove opening on a monday, very well could have been done for goose as well however, yet again our government seem to lose all common sense when it comes to hunting.

Iowa's dates, ducks especially, have been screwed up for far too long. Luckily I hunt the Mississippi in Illinois' north zone and their dates actually make sense. Iowa has pissed me off to the point I only buy a non-resident Illinois license now and skip Iowa all together.

But on the same note, people in Arkansas are upset that their season closes the end of January, as most of the ducks show up the first week of February........

Can't be easy all the time! I get bummed when the season ends and all the fowl shows up to but still, if I put time into it and make educated decisions on when to go, usually have good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what's you guys opinion on population level of geese, ducks (by species) and how are they trending??

no it can't be easy.. but wasting season days when the big honker numbers aren't here yet and all your hunting is locals is foolish.. Seems from what I've seen and guys I've talked to up north its shaping up to be another good year numbers wise i think

no it can't be easy.. but wasting season days when the big honker numbers aren't here yet and all your hunting is locals is foolish.. Seems from what I've seen and guys I've talked to up north its shaping up to be another good year numbers wise i think

I agree on the hunting locals issue and I'd like to see the season straddle that time frame where we can hunt the locals for awhile then get a little better opportunity to hunt northern birds. Like has been stated, just how it fell this year. Send a note, let your voice be heard (you're not alone in this), and pray for some bitter cold up north after Christmas!

Top Bottom