Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Waterfowlers

bushman

Alright, as the fall aproaches my mind is starting to switch from the lakes to the sky. Early goose season is like 40 some days away. This year i would like to hone my goose and duck calling skills. I commute to work 3 hours a day and have plenty of time in the car to practice. I was wondering if anyone has any CD's of good goose and duck calling techniques the can recomned. Thanks.

Buck Garner has a cd out for duck calling. I would highly recommend it if you are wanting to learn, or just hone your skills.

For goose calling, try Barnie Calef's cd. It is a good tool to learn how to goose call, and to learn the different calls. very good cd in my opinion.

I think the best duck calling instruction CD's are the Rich-N-Tone The Right Stuff series. I really like the advanced techniques one, and the technique that the beginner one teaches is awesome to learn how to blow a call. RNT calls are awesome also. I don't know what style of call you have, or how into it you are, but you'll have much more high to low range with a single reed.

For goose calling I'll suggest a Foiles cd or a Fred Zink cd. Of those two Foiles is easier to follow, and for me anyways his calls are easier to blow.

I would watch the dvd honker talk, they have great instructions on how to call and it also has alot of footage of how real geese actually sound together. i think its important to understand how geese react to each other in different situations.

Our early goose season starts in 24 days.

They have it 2 weeks early this year..

Not going to be fun to hunt geese in 80 degree temps..

Yuck!!!

It is still hunting, so I can't complain too much.

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Be careful practicing in the car. Had a buddy get pulled over a couple of years ago by a mn.state trooper. Somebody who drove by him thought he was smoking a crack pipe and called him in. It was his duck call. Cop was ready to draw his gun and the works. Even searched his car. We still laugh about that one. Good luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEERBOY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful practicing in the car. Had a buddy get pulled over a couple of years ago by a mn.state trooper. Somebody who drove by him thought he was smoking a crack pipe and called him in. It was his duck call. Cop was ready to draw his gun and the works. Even searched his car. We still laugh about that one. Good luck!!</div></div>

That would be a funny story to go home and tell the wife!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, as the fall aproaches my mind is starting to switch from the lakes to the sky. Early goose season is like 40 some days away. This year i would like to hone my goose and duck calling skills. I commute to work 3 hours a day and have plenty of time in the car to practice. I was wondering if anyone has any CD's of good goose and duck calling techniques the can recomned. Thanks. </div></div>

I would second that you need to hone your goose calling skills. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Yah, yah, yah, I know it was the call and not you. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Can't wait to drop the hammer on a few more this year! My goal is to get one to fall into the boat! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Me and bushman....

IMG_2558.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nacho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our early goose season starts in 24 days.

They have it 2 weeks early this year..

Not going to be fun to hunt geese in 80 degree temps..

Yuck!!!

It is still hunting, so I can't complain too much.

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

Nacho - a buddy of mine out in Kulm just told me about that early season - that's insane! Should be easy pickins that early!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, as the fall aproaches my mind is starting to switch from the lakes to the sky. Early goose season is like 40 some days away. This year i would like to hone my goose and duck calling skills. I commute to work 3 hours a day and have plenty of time in the car to practice. I was wondering if anyone has any CD's of good goose and duck calling techniques the can recomned. Thanks. </div></div>

I would second that you need to hone your goose calling skills. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Yah, yah, yah, I know it was the call and not you. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif</div></div>

Whatever dude, you're just jealous of my mad bow staff skills and my rex-kwan-do!!!

I think the best is Zink's and for the more advanced Shawn Stahl.
I got pulled over one day practicing in the truck, driving with my knees because you have have to use both hands on a short reed and told the cop that my wife won't let me practice in the house. He laughed and said it was the same with him blowing his grunt call in his house. Sent me on my way without a ticket. Looking back at this, I would say the truck is not the safest place.
Good luck and remember, you need to have some back pressure on a short reed goose call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the best is Zink's and for the more advanced Shawn Stahl.
I got pulled over one day practicing in the truck, driving with my knees because you have have to use both hands on a short reed and told the cop that my wife won't let me practice in the house. He laughed and said it was the same with him blowing his grunt call in his house. Sent me on my way without a ticket. Looking back at this, I would say the truck is not the safest place.
Good luck and remember, you need to have some back pressure on a short reed goose call. </div></div>

Nailed it... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Duck calling in a car is fine but with a short reed goose call you need to use both hands and that doesn't mix well with driving. Listen to anything from Grounds, Calef, Zink, Shahl. I learned listening to Carlson and Grounds. Lucky enough to have Carlson and Calef live only a few miles away. Good luck bushman and when you get the hang of a short reed there is nothing like it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Thanks for all the advise guys. What would you guys recomend for a short reed call? I don't have $150 to spend on a call right now so looking for something that will kill geese but not my wallet. Anyone have any CD's i could borrow?

There are a ton of great calls on the market for around $50. I a ton of calls that are anywhere from $200 down to $30. Although, I love my Foiles calls, but this Tim Grounds call is always around my neck as well... Great call for the money.

Tim Grounds Super Magnum Polycarb Goose Call

It has great tone and turns over fairly easily.

I have cassette tapes and vcr tapes you can watch... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have cassette tapes and vcr tapes you can watch... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
</div></div>

And I thought you were Mr. Kool Aide

Thanks for the offer limb but my Ghetto blaster broke a few years back. I don't think there is a tape player anywhere in my house. Same can be said for the VHS. I do appreciate it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the offer limb but my Ghetto blaster broke a few years back. I don't think there is a tape player anywhere in my house. Same can be said for the VHS. I do appreciate it though. </div></div>

I have both still - the ghetto blaster in the garage still plays tapes I think. Still got a VHS too in the man room. Pick up the calls and bring em out! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom