Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Waterhemp in beans

Khughes2345

PMA Member
Bean plot got overrun with waterhemp. Hadn’t checked it in a few weeks but it needs sprayed with something bad. They’re enlist beans that have been sprayed twice with gly but didn’t knock them down. Most the beans about a foot tall but some are struggling with lack of rain and all the waterhemp.

Suggestions? Thx!

24d tank mixed with gly is pretty dang deadly. Gly alone won't touch waterhemp. I wouldn't want to let the water hemp get too big though.

You can mix Liberty WITH Enlist? I did mine in 2 sprayings about a month apart. I used Enlist Duo. AMS with both.

You can mix Liberty WITH Enlist? I did mine in 2 sprayings about a month apart. I used Enlist Duo. AMS with both.
Absolutely. It’s pry not labeled for it or recommend but u could do glyphosate, glufosinate & enlist & be fine. Maybe I’ve tried it ;). Don’t wanna do that for resistance reasons. Adding enlist is a game changer on broadleaves. If bigger weeds- go max rate as we must kill them! AMS is a big help. There’s even options past enlist to break resistance like fomasafen, cobra, cadet, etc- a lot of those not needed now with enlist & can burn beans some. All these issues are made much easier if spray when weeds small.

This is the reason I did enlist beans for a food plot. The Liberty absolutely wrecked every weed my first spraying when they were ~4" tall. I had some skips in my spray pattern because of my old (reliable) equipment. Second spraying was necessary when some low-lying weeds came up again and those I missed were 8-12" tall. I used Enlist Duo and it has pretty much nuked them. Except for velvetleaf I found. Neither chemical seemed to touch them, but there were very few so I pulled them by hand. To the OP, my first time planting beans and I would suggest Liberty with AMS first. Hammered them.

Absolutely. It’s pry not labeled for it or recommend but u could do glyphosate, glufosinate & enlist & be fine. Maybe I’ve tried it ;). Don’t wanna do that for resistance reasons. Adding enlist is a game changer on broadleaves. If bigger weeds- go max rate as we must kill them! AMS is a big help. There’s even options past enlist to break resistance like fomasafen, cobra, cadet, etc- a lot of those not needed now with enlist & can burn beans some. All these issues are made much easier if spray when weeds small.
All 3 is called scorched earth…..that’s a southern boy trick for sure.

I never leave the gly out if possible because of foxtail. Before they had dual stacked beans, I switched to Liberty beans in order to control water hemp. Liberty was death to water hemp and marestail but the foxtail took over quick.

gly and liberty mixed is straight fire. It kills shit brown in like 2 days. You add enlist to that recipe and you have a nuclear concoction. I may or may not have just sprayed all 3 on a patch of beans that hadn't been touched since May......

gly and liberty mixed is straight fire. It kills shit brown in like 2 days. You add enlist to that recipe and you have a nuclear concoction. I may or may not have just sprayed all 3 on a patch of beans that hadn't been touched since May......
How long does the residual affect on that last? I have a fallow field full of waterhemp that needs managed for a winter native seeding. I could keep mowing it but I'm entertaining a spray to see if I can get more of the seedbank to pop.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

How long does the residual affect on that last? I have a fallow field full of waterhemp that needs managed for a winter native seeding. I could keep mowing it but I'm entertaining a spray to see if I can get more of the seedbank to pop.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
I'd say about 2 weeks.

Did this same thing to a bean plot in the heaviest drought area in northeast NE. Beans were planted first week of May, Did a burndown and pre emergent app two weeks prior. Then was finally able to get back to farm last week in June. Beans were 8" tall and waterhemp, marestail, velvetl;eaf, and other fine broadleaves up to 18" tall. I wasn't sure if I'd get a good kill with the drought conditions but it flat out cleaned the beans up. Beans were the only thing alive after 10 days. They've since got just under 3" of rain. They at least got a chance to produce something now.

I did double the enlist and liberty dosage, went for broke, either I killed the weeds or killed everything. The beans wilted for a day and then were back at it 2 days later.

Top Bottom