Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Waxed Balls !

Shovelbuck

I'll see how this works tomorrow.
My old two row 16 gauge is a great gun but loading a patched round ball down the bore scares me. Even with only a .010 patch, they load so tight I'm always nervous about sticking one about mid bore and having a real mess on my hands.
So I thought I'd give this a try. I melted bees wax and built up several coats on the balls. Since I load with over powder cards and wads, plus still use a over shot card, the patch shouldn't be needed. The wax will just keep the ball centered in the bore plus keep the lead fowling to a minimum. At least it sounds like a good idea anyway.
And you guys thought I'd done something else:D
1-Copy.jpg

picture.php

Last edited:
Success! Sort of.;) The waxed balls load and shoot good but if I want to turn this gun into a "Buck & Ball" double, it really needs a rear sight. For some reason I have a hard time keeping a consistent sight picture with it.
It would be nice to have one this way so I could load one barrel for deer and the other for turkeys:way: I may play around with a rear sight next spring. No need to bother with this season as my go to gun is the flintlock.
Of course, this is a good reason to build another gun.:D

That is one PURTY shootgun!!!! I been shootin a double 12 Pedersoli for several years....kilt a few turkeys with it even!!!!

I have never shot a ball thru a smooth bore ML, but I have thought about it.

What size ball would I shot in my two row .13 gauge?

You may want to check it at different temperature.. Plastic sabots are temperature sensitive,, Some plastic sabots pretty much shatter in 0 degree temps, or get so soft in the 100's or on a reload, that the sabot comes out looking like a donut with wings.. Groups suffer tremendously, wax would have to be worse.

Plastic sabots

What are those?;)
Actually Ken, the wax works good and has been used for quite some time by folks other than me. The over powder card and thick wad protect it from the heat. A lot of folks just use an unpatched ball and let it bounce down the bore. It still shoots good at 50 yds or so but leaves a lot of lead build up in the bore.

I had my balls waxed once. You've never seen so much blood! :confused:

It took a 6-pack of Mother's Milk to get rid of the pain.
Mmmmmm. I love my Mother's Milk.
busch-light.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like to me that there are a lot of warnings that went along with old BP shotgunning. Sounds like the respect is well deserved.

Nice looking toys there. Keep your powder dry. :D

Top Bottom