Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Way too many deer

Over the years I've sat in on a lot of DNR meetings, deer task force, deer advisory, deer depredation and legislative meetings. I don't think people realize how much h*ll the DNR takes over the deer issue. Some they deserve, some they don't and some no matter what they do it isn't right. I heard one DNR person say, if his left butt cheek was being chewed on by the anti deer people and the right cheek by the hunters and if both sides had about the same amount chewed off he knew the deer problem/population was about right. Sad but true, deer in this state are being managed by social carrying capacity not biological capacity and I don't think Iowa is any different than the states surrounding us. I do feel that we are doing a better job than most.

Went at a meeting and had a legislator stand up and ask what DNR was going to do about the deer problem in Hancock Co. He drives by this farm everyday in the winter time and sees 75-100 feeding, so there has to be a deer problem. The only real problem is the farmer has some good cover, corn field that isn't buried under 3 foot of snow and he doesn't allow any hunting. Those 100 deer were probably 50% of the deer in Hancock Co. Everyone has their idea of what the deer herd should look like. You can put FB & insurance companies on one side of the issue, hunters on the other. Somewhere in between is the middle ground that the DNR walks. They manage by counties, but even if the county has about the right amount of deer there will always be hotspots.

I think everyone should attend a deer advisory meeting on see the tremendous pressure being put on the deer herd, it comes from all sides; FB, insurance companies, NRs, NR landowners, hunters, outfitters, and the DNR themselves. It's amazing that we have the great deer hunting that we do.

I'm not here defending the DNR, but I do agree with them most of the time. We have friends within the department and we have those that aren't. If you ever get a chance sit down and talk to the deer biologist, they are incredibly passionate people when it comes to deer and deer hunting. If a biologist was running the DNR a lot of the problems would go away.

Just my two cents.

Elkhunter I agree with you. I don't mean any of my comments to be anti-DNR, and I have always tried to support them, and have several friends in their ranks. However that doesn't mean that I always agree with them and their policies. Here is the way I see it, if there are two sides chewing, I want to be on the side chewing the most, and I think that as hunters we are missing out on much of our clout. If we break down the sides ours would be represented by at least 350,000 deer hunters and an undisclosed number of additional hunters of other species. These hunters buy hunting licenses, habitat stamps and regular deer licenses. Just these things represent about $21 million dollars of revenue not even counting the turkey hunters and trappers and others. The other side is represented by insurance companies, farmers, and Farm Bureau, who combined represent $0 dollars( that is notta, zip, nothing,) of revenue , unless I am missing something. I understand that there is a lot of pressure from both sides but common sense says "you dance with who brought you" meaning the sportsmen of Iowa. Also what happens to the revenue stream when the deer herd gets down to the projected 170,000 animals and many of the less dedicated hunters simply drop out due to lack of success and hunting land access? Will the insurance companies and Farm Bureau make up the revenue short fall? I don't think you have to be Nostradamus to predict that one!;)

Here is the way I see it, if there are two sides chewing, I want to be on the side chewing the most, and I think that as hunters we are missing out on much of our clout. If we break down the sides ours would be represented by at least 350,000 deer hunters and an undisclosed number of additional hunters of other species.

bowmaker
Didn't take any of your comments as anti DNR.

How about this one: The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

We need to become that squeaky wheel.

Here is the way I see it, if there are two sides chewing, I want to be on the side chewing the most, and I think that as hunters we are missing out on much of our clout. If we break down the sides ours would be represented by at least 350,000 deer hunters and an undisclosed number of additional hunters of other species.

How about this one: The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

We need to become that squeaky wheel.

Words to live by on both accounts. It seems a difficult transition at first to become active. But it's amazing how much you can do in a very small amount of time. It becomes easy, then you wonder why you haven't done it all along. :D

In the past several years, we've been on the upside of the equation and there hasn't seemed a need to gather our voice. In reality, there were some hard working people behind the scenes doing a great deal of work while many of us...myself included...soaked up the benefits of their actions. Times have changed and as hunters we had better either wake up to the need for a united voice or be prepared to STFU when things don't go our way.

I may be wrong but the 340,000 number for hunters seems high. This is a guess but I would bet that number comes from people buying tags for multiple seasons. Ex... I buy bow and late ml, so I would count as two hunters.
I also agree with jbronc in that 90% of statistics can be spun any way you want....50% of the time

Top Bottom