Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

We must be getting a lot of turkey...

bukket

I saw a roadkill on I-80 last week around the Baxter exit. I got to thinking and in all my travels had never seen a turkey on the side of the road...to top it off it was a jake/tom and looked like a real beast. I can't imagine what one of those would do to a vehicle, especially after seeing what a pheasant can do!!!!

I have seen a couple dead turkeys along the road. One was dead by Muscatine 61 and I looked in the field and a tom flew across the road in the exact same spot.

Also this has been a couple years ago and I think it was on 151 near Cascade/Monticello area. A guy was driving down the highway with his window down and a turkey was flying across the road and it made it inside his car. He put it in the ditch and I think both were okay ironically enough. That would be something.

many moons ago my dad had a big tom hit the windshield. it spiderwebbed the windshield and the turkey just scooted up and over the car, landed in the ditch, and ran off. we had to get a new windwhield however.

Last winter I was in Santa Fe, New Mexico we headed up to Taos and then cut through the mountains to Colorado. Just north of Taos a couple wild turkeys steped into the road and one ended up crystalizing our windsheild.

We pulled over to inspect the damage and I looked back to see a turkey flopping in the middle of the road. At the time I was thinking I might go back and inspect and possibly cut the beard off but was more concerned about the windsheild.

As we inspected the damage a van slowed down and started to pull over. I thought someone was going to offer help. However, the van stop short of us and a little boy ran out of the passenger side grabed the turkey and the van sped by us.
blush.gif

Birds are grouping up- saw more this afternoon in 2 hours than I have ever seen like that before. Seems like a couple good hatches the last couple years.

they definitely are grouping up ive seen hundreds out in the fields during the afternoons i love it, but what i love most is every morning ive hunted so far the turkeys have been gobbling like crazy in the morning, now that gets yah pumped to hear em in the fall!!

I was also noticing how much gobbling I am hearing this fall. Has me confusing seasons along with them.....
shrug[1].gif

Had a really good Southern Iowa hatch for sure!
waytogo.gif
I have be seeing 30 to 40 birds in a group everytime I'm in the timber on stand.

The first few times I heard gobbling in the Fall I was shocked.
bigshock.gif
Now it seems common.

BW....kind of cool to hear the young birds first try at a gobble.

Top Bottom