Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weasel Whacks a Tom

Limb Chicken

With the weather forecast up in the air for Sunday, I don't think either of us were real excited about going but decided to muscle through it and see what happened. It was our try something stupid day and tried a property we hadn't stepped foot on since last deer season. Didn't have any idea whether there were birds here or not but hey why not. Got in a little later than we wanted due to trying to wait until the rain stopped. But it seemed to work as three different birds from different directions fired up. Renewed faith and a burst of excitement. They pitch down and the one that was the hottest came running towards the woven wire fence that was 80 or so yards away with several places the old fence was down he chose to run back and forth in a tizzy gobbling his head off. I reminded Scott that this happened in Nebraska to us with a hen that did this for 8 hours straight. No lie. With other birds gobbling and getting closer we had kind of given up on old einstein and focused on a different bird that was closing fast. Well slick finally went the extra 20 yards down the fence to get through and he was on his way and closing fast. He was running straight for us then at 15 steps veered off and ran into the corn with the other birds. GREAT! Now what. Well they carry on but keep gobbling and finally a few birds worked their way back down the ridge and finally two toms committed and were on their way but coming in from behind. One through the fence... the other through the fence. I put the camera on the decoys and hid my face because the closest tom was 3 or 4 yards from the blind. Clucked and acted a little spooked then ran back at the decoys and Weasel closed the deal with a hammer to the boiler. Not bad for a morning that we had no idea where we were going or whether we were going to stay dry.

Weasel.jpg

Top Bottom