Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weather

johng9662

With the weather possibly being a little colder and rainy on Monday. Do you see this affecting the turkeys much. Not that it will stop me from going out (can't shoot em if your not out).

I don't mind it. I have killed multiple turkeys while wearing a stocking hat to keep warm. It seems like they gobble more on a foggy damp drizzsly day than on a clear one. Since I will be in a blind with a roof I don't mind if it rains too much.
smile.gif

I've also noticed that they don't gobble as much when it gets colder. Like yesterday morning they were gobbling pretty good but then this morning nothing. I think the cold fronts quiet them a little. Do you guys see and hear the same?

On Tuesday about 1:00 in the afternoon I heard one gobbling in the brush behind my garage. I thought it was a little odd for the middle of the day. There were no birds out in fields this morning on the way to work.

...I would rather have colder than warmer...the last two years it has been very warm and it seems that the toms stick a lot closer to the hens than they do when it is cold...

I'm like deadeye, I will be in my pop up blind. Set it up on Tuesday, made sure to set the Mr. Buddy heater in there as well. Call me what you want but I already know that the walk that I have will cause me to sweat and once I sit down I will begin to get cold.
As far as the turkeys go, I noticed that they were gobbling a lot more wednesday morning than they were this morning. I still got 2 out of 3 responses with my owl call.
I am really pumped for Monday! I have never gone 1st season before, I just couldn't wait to get out! I dont think that the cold will effect them too much, they still have the uncontrolable urge to breed and strut. And really, by a turkey's standards, 29 degrees cant be to cold to them. Good luck to all!

Top Bottom