Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weekend hunt

birddawg

This is my first year hunting, and with the weather looking really nice for the weekend, I was looking for some help. I am planning on sitting almost all day tomorrow, most of the morning Saturday, and all day Sunday. My question would be, where do I sit? I have one stand in the timber, one on a bean field, and one on the edge of the timber and the edge of crp. Thanks for the input.

Pinch points and funnels in the morning, mid day transitioning to food in the evening. Find the does and your boys won't be far behind them.

I think with warmer forecasted temps this weekend, you will need to move closer to bedding areas rather than food source edges. I have heard of but not seen true 'winter' patterns yet where they're moving and hitting food early. I'd agree with above, pinch/funnel in the a.m. and try and cut them off from bed to food in evenings.

They're not on winter pattern yet. I can see in more open farm country ground where they hit the food early but in big woods hills like I hunt they're still holding tight to timber and the acorns. They can bear this cold, but like anywhere they go where the food is...in my area its still acorns and rut is still going strong. Lots of time left to arrow a nice buck.

Just got back from the morning in the stand. Went to a smaller draw next to where they bed. Scared at 4 does just as light was coming up. Didn't see anything else rest of morning

I saw several deer from the road this morning around 7:00 along river bottom ground. A couple singles. Buch was walking thru some CRP, so assuming he was cruising for a doe. The other was feeding at the edge of CRP and hay field, but couldn't get a good look at it. Then a group in another CRP field, but couldn't tell what they were (driving, so kinda had to watch the road around a curve!). Then a few in a cut corn field feeding, and then around 20 in a cut bean field...about 50-70 yards from someone's box blind! Too far to tell what they were, but guessing mostly does.

Top Bottom