Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weird Year

Bone Slayer

Has it been a weird year for anyone else across the state? Over here in Dubuque County it seems that the deer numbers are way down. A lot of people aren't seeing any deer, especially during the rut.

Yeah, not normal by any means... I think the state is headed the right way with going back to buck only tags early... its going to help... in my area, corn was in longer however. We have been seeing the deer, they just had to many cornfields... Now the cold I figured would have pushed them into the woods, but no such luck yet... only 3 more days to hunt for me for bow season, then work calls

The only Buck I've witness worth harvesting is while driving to my hunting spot. I've witness far less Does numbers, as well. A lot factors can be attributed to that, though. It is very tough to see, but I think we are on the right track for having the deer herd get back to levels most want as flugge eluded to. I think we can get it back to where it was before shed buck season and the extra Doe tags were issued. May take some time and some people may need to eat a tag, but I want to hunt back where it was in the mid 2000's. Every time out you'd have deer come by your stand; it seem liked. But Every Season varies in terms of action and opportunities to harvest. Lets hope the Governor still holds to his new position and that less land is being converted to farm ground.

Less does, more bucks. Last year I was seeing more does and less bucks. Maybe next year I'll be 50/50 for once.

I hunt 2 miles from the IA line and can't say I've seen a difference in deer #'s. Lost track at 20 Halloween morning and had 15 that evening come out on the other side of the property 1/2 mile away. The chasing/timing seems to be right on par with every other year.

Only difference I am seeing is the amount of 2 year old bucks, seems to be tons of those things this year.

Pretty much what I've been viewing as well, letemgrow. A lot of juvenile bucks, but that's usually the case during the earlier stages of the rut. Its definitely a good sign and will just have to be patient to experience the fruit of all the changes that have taken place. my area, in particular, was on the list of the hardest hit areas of EHD. I know there's definitely a drop off in population to when I started hunting till now, which shouldn't come as surprise to anyone. But this also based on some mere anecdotal evidence, and impacted by at least a couple of variables such as time on stand, surrounding hunter and farming practices, hearsay etc. Southern Iowa has definitely more cover and higher deer populations/density compared to some other regions of the state --with the exception to maybe North East, Eastern part of the state, but consequently, more hunters as well. Your right, The Rut is the same year to year because there is an certain order to nature.

Last edited:
I have seen fewer deer here in the far NE corner of the state. The very hard winters and snow holding on till late March early April and not that great of a growing season for natural browse played a big roll, IMO. Corn was and still is in areas later than usual, or maybe normal for pre '08 years (When I moved here).

I know that on some of the ground that I can hunt, the farmers started Fall tilling since they stopped running cattle. Doe numbers dropped off within a day or two. I think some have moved back to the property after surrounding fields were harvested and most were tilled.

From what I can tell most the bucks I have seen are 2 & 3 yr olds. Good potential for next year. Hoping the numbers come back up, at least to keep from getting to bored in the stand.

^ Yeah, You Guys up in NE Corner sure do get dumped on during winter. so that's definitely believable.

I have seen about the same amount as last year, hopeful with the changes in the regs that number will climb. I have probably seen more bucks than does this year though.

^ Yeah, You Guys up in NE Corner sure do get dumped on during winter. so that's definitely believable.

Hopefully we will get a bit of a pass this year. I am getting back into whitetail hunting, seriously, after about 4 years of trying to chase waterfowl. If I can find my old cameras, I plan on running some all year round on private and public to see what is really going on in areas.

^ Hope it works out for you. I was residing up there for time, and was just blown away by the amount of snowfall you guys received.

I haven't seen any deer my last 2 afternoon hunts near DBQ. On my way home tonight I counted 5 dead deer along the highway that runs along the property...that's from the last 3 nights. No wonder I'm not seeing anything when half the herd is playing frogger.

Top Bottom