Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Well Then.....

Buckmaster14

My season has been.... interesting, frustrating, and tiring so far. I have only missed one morning since opener on the 14th.

Opening morning i set up at my deer hunting spot. Turkeys gobbled on the roost, gobbled when they flew down, would answer my calls, but moved on their way, following the hens. Moved on to another spot about 8 am. Got a bird located as soon as i stepped in the woods. Walked down a creek bottom and set up on him. as gobbling at every sound i made. I think i sneezed and he gobbled... Anyways, i could tell he was getting closer, he was in a large pasture about 200 yards out, all he had to do was cross it and i had him. I heard a hen cut loose, he gobbled, then silence. about 3 minutes later... shotgun blast from the big pasture. Well, he wins.

Monday morning, i hunted another spot near my house... kill a bird every year there. Got set up about 6 am.... no birds gobbled , didnt hear any fly down, nothing. pulled out of the property and in the field across the road there was 3 gobblers full strut. I shook my head and went on to the next spot. Went back to where the bird got shot saturday. Sat down in the same spot about 7:30am, and gave a few loud yelps. wasnt long i heard faint gobbles echoing up the holler. Wasnt long i had 3 birds on the hill in front of me, walking back and forth across the hill on an old logging road. They never would come down to the bottom. After 10 minutes they worked their way into the pasture...

Fast forward to today. Hunted a new spot with a friend. heard a bird gobble about half a mile off at 615. packed up the blind and decoy and dumped them by the truck.... time to run n gun. got up to the field edge he was in... and for whatever reason my friend decided he was gonna seperate from me and go a different way. He ended up walking right into an opening to the field, and a few hens busted. Hunt was over. Took him home and headed back to see the pasture birds. Got in the woods at about 915am. I set up on the top of the hill where the birds strutted a week prior, and put out my full strut decoy. After 15 minutes of calling... gobbles echoed through the holler yet again. Within 5 minutes, they were in the bottom just over the crest of the hill. They quit gobbling. i got ready. Next thing i know, i see a red and blue head... very quickly peek over the top of the hill, and then dissapear. He didnt see the decoy to the right! I could hear him spittin just below my line of sight, and i didnt wanna move. after 5 minutes, all is silent, til i hear them all fire off again...where? PASTURE! Definately frustrating! I'll try again first thing tomorrow morning and see if i can set up in the right spot this time.....

Sometimes you can't do anything right it seems. Stick with it, eventually one will slip up. Keep after it! Good luck!

Top Bottom