Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

well this sucks!

BDAHMS

Be here Now
Over the last few months I have had 4 severe allergic reactions and ended up in the ER each time- had blood work and all kinds of other tests because we couldn't figure out what it was. Got the results back this week and I am allergic to ....wait for it.....MEAT are you kidding me??? Not seafood but pork and beef- they said Venison isn't researched enough yet to know- but I would imagine I am as well. And guess what caused it- a tick bite! So be careful- ticks are taking away my bacon (I am still going to eat meat- just not very often) I sure hope Venison doesn't cause a reaction- would be pretty bummed. Here is an article someone sent me today after they heard what the docs told me-

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/tick-bite-makes-you-allergic-meat

Last edited:
Read about this earlier in the year online. That would suck to have to go "cold turkey" on red meat. I hope no one else gets this. Sounds like it's heavy in eastern state ticks and moving west.

Man, That does suck. First time I've ever heard of it. I read the attached article. Hope they learn more about it and can help you out.

One of a million other reasons to hate ticks. When I'm camping out deer I still cringe when I see them crawling all over my hands. Even had some cold weather shotgun bucks have them pouring off of them once I got them warmed back up. Skin now crawling. :(

The doctor at the allergy center said I am the first case he has had in his career in the Des Moines area- and what is crazy is I could eat meat every day for a month and not have a reaction- then I eat something with red meat in the ingredients and boom- bad reaction. I am definitely not going cold turkey- I will just lesson the amount of meals with meat in them each week- unless the reactions get out of hand- but I have Epipens in my office, car and bathroom now.

Sorry to hear you have that. That does suck, but at least you figured it out. I believe I will need to step up my tick repellent in the future. I've been lucky I guess as I've had tons of ticks on me in the last several years. I'm what they call a tick magnet. Again, sorry to hear the news and hope, if possible, it goes away in time.

I was the second confirmed case in IA 2 years ago this month. The first was a lady from Mt pleasant. It sucks but the longer you have the more you learn. I will never stop eating meat. I'm a carnivore. I dont have reactions enough to make me not eat meat. I notice I have my reactions are after I eat beef that might have came from a lower quality place like jack links beef Jerky like twice now. Multiple fast food joints. But as long as I eat what I think is iowa based products I'm fine. My theory is the huge company's get there beef from huge stock yards where the lonestar tick actually lives. But if you look at a map of the lonestar ticks range they are creeping up to southern iowa.. pm me if you have any questions

I was the second confirmed case in IA 2 years ago this month. The first was a lady from Mt pleasant. It sucks but the longer you have the more you learn. I will never stop eating meat. I'm a carnivore. I dont have reactions enough to make me not eat meat. I notice I have my reactions are after I eat beef that might have came from a lower quality place like jack links beef Jerky like twice now. Multiple fast food joints. But as long as I eat what I think is iowa based products I'm fine. My theory is the huge company's get there beef from huge stock yards where the lonestar tick actually lives. But if you look at a map of the lonestar ticks range they are creeping up to southern iowa.. pm me if you have any questions

Sorry to hear this, BDAHMS. It's a very scary thing in what you have, and hope your able to manage it. The above written by Td is what I was sort of thinking before he posted, as well. I'd be curious to know if you would happen to have any reactions if you were to only eat Organic Beef. It may be something you want to look into if you don't want to give up beef.

It has nothing to do with organic. The lonestar tick has a sugar in its saliva and once a human is bitten by the lonestar tick that is always in our system. When we eat red meat that has been also bitten by the lonestar tick our body fights it which is what our allergic reaction is.

Thanks for the info TD- what about venison. You ever have a reaction with it? I rarely eat beef- but both times I reacted the worse was after chili with beef and tailgaiting at tons of fun softball tournament- burgers from fairway. Will stick to venison for red meat- I think I'm taking it lighter than the situation really is- however- it is what it is

It sucks for sure. I'll be staying away from faraway beef now to. I'm sure it's inevitable that it will continue north and get in to our wild deer herds but until then I'm not going to worry about it. FYI when I was confirmed with it my allergist said the furthest north the lonestar tick has been found is southern Missouri. I looked at an updated map last month and it was into parts of southern ia. So maybe it's here to stay. Be carefull to she said each reaction may get worse or if ur bitten by the tick again the chance of it being worse is high.

Yeah- the bites I know about were from souther Iowa - ringgold county. Had a ton of them this year and last Crazy how rare it is.

VERY sorry to hear about this! My prayers are with you man.

It is definitely more expensive but would bison be an acceptable alternative?

Yeah but the further north they move and the more people/deer/beef get bit. The more cases you'll see. I had never heard of it be for me but iv seen qdma and nra magazines with articles about it and numerous online articles about it. It's gonna start popping up more and more. Imo

Just curious and maybe it hasn't been studied yet, but if a cow is bit is her calf infected to the point where it will effect your guys allergies? Also is it possible to get a hog or beef from a place where they have inside lots and no pasture/outside exposure?

That would be a question for TD- I literally know nothing about this except for what the doc told me and he didn't know much cause he hasn't ever diagnosed it. I'll update this when I get reactions and what it's too. Fingers crossed it won't happen with Giant 200"+ bucks backstraps :)

As far as the calf and lots and pasture. I would think it has to be bitten but I'm not sure. I suppose a tick could come of one animal and on to another in a feed lot. I never really worried about pork because of such a high percentage is in confinements and my guess would never be exposed.

Top Bottom