Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Well

hotshott2289

Got to experience a hang fire on my muzzleloader tonight which was fantastic. Big shooter at bow range pulled the trigger primer popped off and then the rest decided to go a few moments later after the buck was already out of my scope. It had to of been 1.5-2 seconds. I distinctly heard the primer and nothing. I don't even know how to react besides being dumbfounded at missing I guess you would call it

Sometimes all you can do is laugh. When you think you got them and then that happens. Been there before, it sucks. At least you didn't gimp him from it.

Almost 100% of the time you have a hang fire, misfire, forgot to put a primer in, etc, it won't be a doe that gets away. I've heard stories upon stories and those scenarios are ALWAYS on a big buck! Get back after it and good luck!

I agree with the guys that said at least you didn't injure him. At least this way you might see him again even if it is next year. Feel for you man.

I also had a heck of a deer this week (4.5 year old 10 point ~150+") at 40 yards broadside and my smokepole didn't want "smoke". He gave me time and I tried 5 primers with no luck. He walked out to 80 yards and I decided to try to push that powder and bullet out and reload, only to be unable to re-screw in my breach plug due to powder in the screw channels. So I watched him casually walk out of my life!!! I have been sick about it.

The only thing I can think of that my old box 777 209 primers went bad. They weren't popping on trigger strike but I could smell them. Also, I didn't unload from the hunt two nights before (removed primer and left out in my unheated garage) so might have picked up a little moisture.

Probably the biggest mistake I made was not giving that powder enough time before I started removing the breech plug and trying to reload. Imagine if there was a delayed hang fire as I was pushing the bullet out. If that ever happens to me again I'm going to wait at least two minutes before touching anything besides the primer.

powder is new but about all i could figure is maybe my primers are old/bad..? i bought a few hundred 4 years ago and have just been storing them in my shooting box in the garage so who knows.. Very very glad i didn't wound him!

Yeah could be the primers. I read somewhere that they can and do go bad. I buy fresh powder and fresh primers every year just to be safe. I dealt with a few hangfires in the past and don't want to go there again.

If the primer detonated, I wouldn't think it was the primers fault. After a similar experience about 15 years ago, a fellow I was talking to gave me a small vial of FFFF powder (the stuff they prime flintlock pans with). He said to put a "thumbnails" worth in first, followed by whatever charge of powder I wanted. I have done that since and never had another "hang-fire". Maybe wouldn't have anyway??? A little goes a LONG way but if you can find a flintlock shooter & talk them out of a little bit, it may work for you too. Doesn't seem to alter accuracy. Just goes "BOOM" when the primer goes pop!

Top Bottom