Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

We're Baaayyyycck!

Limb Chicken

Well just to let you guys know we are back from Nebraska. I will have pictures later today or tomorrow. Talked to the land owner he mentioned that his son was coming back from college to hunt because he was concerned about the weather holding out. So, we got his number and gave him a call to see where he was planning on hunting and let him know we would stay clear of the area. He was going to hunt where I shot mine last year and was only hunting until 9:30 and that we were more than welcome to hunt where ever we wanted... Well we chose a spot at the campfire not knowing how is was going to be or whether there was even any birds in that area.

We set up the blind and as I put out the decoys a bird gobbled 75 yards away!
bigshock.gif
Well this one was over at 6:02 am. My buddy put the shot on the money (all on video). We found the bird and as we were taking the still pictures another bird gobble 200yards away from the other direction. We got back in the blind and this bird came to 7 yards but wouldn't give me a clear shot... So I waited.... and waited... he finally got to an area I thought I could slip an arrow through. I did all right. Right through the blind
nono.gif
! We ended up calling that bird back in but I just couldn't get a clear shot so we let him walk away. It was around 10:30 so we decided to go check the area that I shot mine last year. We got set up and let things settle for around 45 minutes and started to call. The third series of calls we got a response from three birds two in one direction and one in the opposite direction.
peace.gif
Dueling gobblers... Well the one that was by himself won a trip back to Iowa at 12:18 pm
beerchug.gif
. Never saw a hen the whole trip. I will post the pics when I can. Mine had 1.5 hooks and Scott's had 1.25. We went back to camp and celebrated, watched the video and ate deer steak! It was a truely awesome trip!

Congradulations on the sucessful hunt limb chicken. We've got about 4 inches of fresh snow in NE Iowa, it sure doesn't seem like turkey weather
doah.gif

Congratulations on the Nebraska hunt what a way to start off the season. I hope you have the same luck in Iowa.
beerchug.gif

I knew you'd score! Congrats! Boy you dodged a bullet out of the weather gun. Get this week out of the way so I can go on vacation!
Good Job Limb.
Pupster

Congrats Limb Chicken!! Sounds like it was a great hunt. Would love to
see the video some time.

Thanks guys, like Pupster said we really dodged a bullet on the weather! The next morning we woke up to sleet and 35 degrees! Drove home in snow and freezing rain!
bigshock.gif

Stuffy,
I am going to try to get the video up somewhere in here. However if I don't the next time I am down in the Tree I will stop by with a VHS tape and we can talk about the "decoy"! The footage of Scott's turkey is awesome. Mine is so, so because it happened so fast!

Your picture link didn't work for me. I can see the picture of the spurs, but not of Limbchicken 1 or 2.

Limb, though it's a bit late in coming congrats!! I guess there was a deaf & dumb bird left eh??
smile.gif

Pupster,
Should work now... sorry.
wstupid.gif

muddy,
Thanks, I think the landowner released a couple of bronze birds and put them in the area...
busted.gif

Congrats on a fine hunt. Sounds like you had alot of fun. What area in Nebraska are you hunting. For some reason when I go to you trophy room I can only get a couple of your pictures to come up. Might just be the system is working slow today or there is a glich somewhere. Good luck next week
Trper

I don't know what is wrong... We were about 90 minutes from you trper

Attachments

• 24530-Scott,Matt.gif
    24530-Scott,Matt.gif
    36.1 KB · Views: 7
Good looking birds. Yeah I don't know what the problem is loading the pictures on the sight. They should load right away as has everything else that I go to. I have a cable modem and they should come up right away. They start to load and then they kinda stop about halfway. No problems loading pictures quickly from any of my other sights! Perplexed!

Sounds like a great time & timing. How far were you west? I thought you were after Merriams- those look like Easterns. Then again- maybe that was Muddy's post.

pharmer,
We were not very far west... We are heading to SD and WY for Merriams in May... Those are nasty ole' Easterns! We had an absolute blast!

Limb
Congrats on some nice birds! How big were those guys? They look pretty heavy. Can't wait to head out 1st season to help call one in for a friend....then its my turn to shoot 2nd season.

GunnerJon,
Not sure. We forgot the scale!
wall.gif
I won't even guess. I will say mine was one of the best birds I have taken without weighing him. Both spurs were 1.5 and beard was 9.5 and it is the beginning of the breeding season so I really wish I would have brought the scale. I was close to getting him mounted but I really put a hurt'n on his spine. Scott's bird had 1.25 spurs and was also a stud.

Congrats Limb. Sounds like you had a blast. Seeing your pictures really pumps me up. Me and a buddy from work are leaving Friday for the Black Hills to hopefully bag us a couple of Merriam's. A solid week of camping and turkey hunting, AAAHHH!!!

Awesome. Hands down one of my favorite places to hunt. Take lots of pictures. Watch out for those cats!
bigshock.gif

Also I expect a full gobbling report. Should be a good year out there!

Top Bottom