Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

west/northwest

Nug

What happened to the good ole days of being able to hunt the rut with a nice west or northwest breeze? These easterly winds...blow. I have a couple of nice spots i'm dying to try but....oh well, enough of my rant. I'll go back to watching the timber now.

What happened to the good ole days of being able to hunt the rut with a nice west or northwest breeze? These easterly winds...blow. I have a couple of nice spots i'm dying to try but....oh well, enough of my rant. I'll go back to watching the timber now.

I agree!!!!! Our farm hunts best on any wind from the west, but it seems like every time we can go it is from the east somehow. This year AND last year. Aaarrghhh!! :grin:

I hear yah. Back when I first started bowhunting you could always count on NW winds in November. Heck, I don't even remember really setting up for anything else. Maybe I just pay more attention to the wind now. Global warming sucks ;)

I may be crazy, but I also think there is a lot less movement with anything from the east. It usually means some crazy front is getting ready to wrap around and everything just lays low for a bit!!!

I may be crazy, but I also think there is a lot less movement with anything from the east. It usually means some crazy front is getting ready to wrap around and everything just lays low for a bit!!!

I think you are probably right. The old fishing axioms...1. Wind from the west, fish bite best. 2. Wind from the south, hook stays in fishes mouth. 3. Wind from the east, fish bite least. I think hold fairly true for deer movement too.

Years ago I hunted ducks a lot more than deer and east winds were generally poor for duck movement too, at least in my experience. Wednesday should be good from the weather reports I am watching and with all the rain tomorrow that should definitely help us hunters get into our stands less obtrusively too.

I will join in in the east wind hate fest.... I have a grand total of 2 stands that hunt decent for an east wind... You would think I would have learned after last year...

Top Bottom