Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Western hunting Trip

hotshott2289

Hey guys, I'm starting to plan a trip for 2013 or 2014 out west for elk. We are leaning towards New Mexico. Have any of you guys had any experience out there, or outfitters anyone can point me would be great

I'll pm you when I get a chance (you may have to remind me). If you like DIY, I can point you to some areas. Anything Hola is great, but I know some other areas you might have a better chance at getting drawn.

Have you started buying your preference points? I have applied for antelope tags for this year's season in WY. I should know on 30-June if I drew or not. Then the rest of the planning begins!

Have you started buying your preference points? I have applied for antelope tags for this year's season in WY. I should know on 30-June if I drew or not. Then the rest of the planning begins!

If you are thinking New Mexico, there are no preference or bonus points. Its a clean slate every year for residents and non-residents, alike. I'll do some digging in the next few weeks after I get my big project wrapped up and get you some information on units in NM. I have friends who hunt there almost every year (archery and rifle) and have taken some very nice bulls...all DIY!

Better take a look at the tag situation. It is my understanding the NM recently revamped it's tag allocations and the NR DIY guys are at the bottom of the barrel. I can't recall all the details but it has upset a lot of people on western forums. (kind of nice to see another state take a beating from the NRs) However if your looking for a guided hunt I believe the new system ups your odds of getting a tag. This is all just what I have seen in researching my own western hunt. Good Luck.

Better take a look at the tag situation. It is my understanding the NM recently revamped it's tag allocations and the NR DIY guys are at the bottom of the barrel. I can't recall all the details but it has upset a lot of people on western forums. (kind of nice to see another state take a beating from the NRs) However if your looking for a guided hunt I believe the new system ups your odds of getting a tag. This is all just what I have seen in researching my own western hunt. Good Luck.

Good point. I vaguely remember hearing something about that, but I also thought it might have gotten voted down. Admittedly, I haven't looked into the NM regs in a couple of years. Easy enough to find out!

Thanks for the info so far.. We all are 100% going for archery, also will more than likely go with an outfitter just because its something none of us have done before

Took about 3 years of deciding but a group of us is going to montana for an elk mule deer black bear combo hunt at the end of october. Biggest decision for me was if i wanted to miss the rut back here but i guess you have to pick your poison.

Thanks for the info so far.. We all are 100% going for archery, also will more than likely go with an outfitter just because its something none of us have done before

That was the same thing I was thinking for my first trip out there. It took me all of about 4 hours of the guide and the chubby dude I got stuck with before I figured out they were only slowing me down. They ended up costing me a bull in a once-in-a-lifetime unit. That was my last guided hunt out west. Been going mostly solo since then. Even then I found myself to the point of going several remote backpack wilderness bowhunts solo. Took a 330" P&Y last year. Applied for another few this year. Given GPS, cell phones, Spot Messengers, Google Earth.........there's no need for a guide. My suggestion would be to watch a few videos on elk hunting, pick a wilderness OTC tag with good elk population and dive in. It's not rocket science. You'll have more fun this way.

That was the same thing I was thinking for my first trip out there. It took me all of about 4 hours of the guide and the chubby dude I got stuck with before I figured out they were only slowing me down. They ended up costing me a bull in a once-in-a-lifetime unit. That was my last guided hunt out west. Been going mostly solo since then. Even then I found myself to the point of going several remote backpack wilderness bowhunts solo. Took a 330" P&Y last year. Applied for another few this year. Given GPS, cell phones, Spot Messengers, Google Earth.........there's no need for a guide. My suggestion would be to watch a few videos on elk hunting, pick a wilderness OTC tag with good elk population and dive in. It's not rocket science. You'll have more fun this way.

Spot on!:way:

I guess my thinking on hiring a guide was that i have friends that have went out and tried the DIY and came back with nothing. They ended up spending 2000 and said they wished they wouldve just spent the extra money and went with a guide just so they would know the area better. Dont get me wrong i think a DIY hunt would be much more rewarding in the end if you got the job done but there was alot of second guessing and hind sight 20/20 going on when they got back. Just to risk it and go hunt public ground for that kind of money just wouldnt be in my budget at this time. If im going out west to hunt i want to do everything possible to get the odds in my favor. To each there own.

I guess my thinking on hiring a guide was that i have friends that have went out and tried the DIY and came back with nothing. They ended up spending 2000 and said they wished they wouldve just spent the extra money and went with a guide just so they would know the area better. Dont get me wrong i think a DIY hunt would be much more rewarding in the end if you got the job done but there was alot of second guessing and hind sight 20/20 going on when they got back. Just to risk it and go hunt public ground for that kind of money just wouldnt be in my budget at this time. If im going out west to hunt i want to do everything possible to get the odds in my favor. To each there own.

Just research and pick a unit with good elk numbers and wilderness with no ATV's allowed. Then look on topos to locate steep north facing slopes you can access 2-5 miles from the closest parking area. This is not difficult. If your buddies weren't in elk they simply did poor research. It's not hard.

I took this bull in an extremely low profile area in NM last year. The unit wasn't even mentioned in Huntin Fool and only rated "fair" by Eastmen's.

files

files

files

Posting photos on this site requires a PHD. It is easier to kill a 330" bull on public land.

I give up. Just click on the 3 next to the "images" under my avatar. I tried to post a larger image of my bull but gave up after 20 minutes. Brutal. Why don't they just use autoformat???

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…

If you go with a guide, do your research. A good guide can make for a hunt of a lifetime, a bad one will make for a hunt that you will complain about for the rest of your life. I worked for an outfit that definately sent many hunters with big dreams of a western hunt home with a sour taste in their mouth and years of savings down the drain. He would hit the east coast hunting shows, book new clients, and rarely did any return. That cycle repeated itself year after year. I was 19, never hunted anything but whitetails, but my client's kills doubled all the other guides put together. It was not that I was that good, the others were just that bad.:(

I would suggest asking for references of clients that did not kill. A hunter can have a terrible hunt and get lucky on the last day and leave happy and willing to give a good reference. Someone who didn't kill an animal but still suggests an outfitter due to the hard work, effort, and accomodations, is the person I would want to hear from. Also make sure that the references aren't from the immediate area to avoid buddys or relation giving the reference. Once you have narrowed down your efforts contact the Warden in the area and ask them about the outfitter. I left my outfit due to legal issues that the outfitter was allowing to happen but the clients had no idea that laws were being broken. When I brought it to his attention he told me to mind my own business. Long story, but be careful!

Do your research if you decide to go guided! Good luck!:way:

The regs have changed in regards to the draw. 84% to residents, 10% to residents and NR's who hunt with an outfitter, and only 6% for NR, DIY guys.

Very short bow seasons as well.

Top Bottom