Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What a difference a year can make

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
This guy jumped quite a bit from 2008 to 2009. 2.5 in 08 and 3.5 this year. Looks like he's got the potential to possibly go boone if he makes it through this season. We'll see I guess.

Here's a question for ya? Shoot or not shoot if given the opportunity, and what's your reasoning behind it?

WestSideCrossing8-31120.jpg

MDGC1048.jpg

WestSideCrossing8-31442.jpg

MDGC1339.jpg

MDGC1337.jpg

MDGC1363.jpg

I'd shoot him but I'm guessing a lot of people on here would wait. Depends on if you like him as he is or if you want to wait.

Not.....simply b/c he has the potential to put 30" or more on again. I'd cross my fingers and pray.

That said, if you whacked him, I wouldn't begrudge that decision in the least. Nice buck, great growth.

Forgot,.....how sweet is that white patch of hair on his face???

An even better reason to hope to cross paths with him.

that is some great growth and i bet he blows up even more next year. im liking the big 8 in the first pic looks mature. Any other pics of him

If you are thinking about passin' him up until next year you better get some hand cuffs for when he comes by the tree. He is going to be tough to pass but if managment conditions are right on the farm and surrounding farms he will be a serious pig next year!

I believe I would be shooting!

I would pass him as I don't think he is mature enough. One more year and he's a dead ringer for sure!! It has nothing to do with his antlers tho, they are plenty big now. I am with GR888, that mature 8 would get the nod this year.

Man that is cool...I would have to say pass. Like the others said, he could grow another 30 inches or so and be world class

well, next year isnt guaranteed..... Id stick him!
:D

what ev works best for you Chris!
;)

It'd be tough to pass...whatever works for you. I'd stick him, but that's just me. He's a great deer...but if your heart is set on him being a 190, then you better wait 2 years. 155 is way good enough for me. :D

I wouldn't think twice. I have only shot one buck with my bow so that buck would have a gold tip headed his way :grin:

i believe id let him walk if theres a good chance of him surviving till next year. what are the neighboring farms like, are they managed or do they kill the first thing to walk by? tough call.

Let him go!!! You won't be disappointed next year if you do. His white spot on his forehead is neat!

I would like to say pass, but until you are actually in that situation that is a hard call to make. That is a pretty nice buck.

Chris,

Based upon what I have seen you kill with your bow in past seasons, the goal of getting him another year under his belt is understandable. I shot an immature buck this past season after my whopper in 07 and really feel like I demonstrated severe lack of self-control in the process. Good luck on making the right decision for you. Thanks for posting the progression for all of us to view.

I would try to pass on him. I would stick the other one in the picture. He looks to be a year older and he's looks a lot wider.

Great feedback guys. To be honest, I hope that I will have the self control to let this deer walk. As a matter of fact, when he was 2.5 I had him @ 10 yards on November 8th, the day before I shot Captain Hook. His home-range seems to be fairly small right now, but that will most likely change once the rut begins to kick in. As for now, i'm saying pass. The chances of him making it until next year are fairly good compared to other areas I've hunted in the past, but there are so many things that can happen and many variables involved in the thought process that goes through you're mind when you're about to pull the trigger.

As he walked under my stand I would pick up my bow bring it to full draw and then say see ya next year big fella:)

On the farms I have permission on, I shoot, cuz he wouldn't make it to next year. On your farms, I wait, cuz he'll be a PIG next year! That split brow would look awesome if he throws on a couple more kickers!

You know your situation better than anyone else buddy. If you say he has a good chance at surviving, you gotta let him walk! I have confidence that you have a few other nice deer to poke, so get one of those other mature bucks out of his area and he'll be more likely to stick around his smaller home range next fall when he's a booner. Good luck!

Top Bottom