Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What am I doing wrong?

I've killed alot of birds with a shot gun and I wanted more of a challenge so for the last 2 years I have hunted with my bow. here's my problem the first turkey that came in last year I took a body shot arrow passed through, bird took off and never found him. the next 2 birds I tried head shots without the gullotine. just because i would rather have clean miss than shoot a bird and not get it. no dice both misses. This year rolls around and I body shoot another bird this morning and he runs away. lot's of blood I follow the blood trail hoping to find a dead bird. nope bird jumps out of a ditch and runs The chase is on and the bird wins and I never found him. I'm am just dejected. these shots are only 15 yds or so long. both shots passed through. both shots I thought were good shots. do you guys that bow hunt have to track the birds very far and do your arrows always pass thru? I'm shooting spitfire gobble getters. sorry this is so long winded but I just don't know what to do short of buying the guilotine. any advice you guy's could provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks

At least you picked the right user name
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've killed alot of birds with a shot gun and I wanted more of a challenge so for the last 2 years I have hunted with my bow. here's my problem the first turkey that came in last year I took a body shot arrow passed through, bird took off and never found him. the next 2 birds I tried head shots without the gullotine. just because i would rather have clean miss than shoot a bird and not get it. no dice both misses. This year rolls around and I body shoot another bird this morning and he runs away. lot's of blood I follow the blood trail hoping to find a dead bird. nope bird jumps out of a ditch and runs The chase is on and the bird wins and I never found him. I'm am just dejected. these shots are only 15 yds or so long. both shots passed through. both shots I thought were good shots. do you guys that bow hunt have to track the birds very far and do your arrows always pass thru? I'm shooting spitfire gobble getters. sorry this is so long winded but I just don't know what to do short of buying the guilotine. any advice you guy's could provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you looked at muddy's post of shot placement???

just had a couple of unlucky shots. I had to go get my dads dog to find mine last year. I would have never found it without him. He tucked himself up under a log and died. Don't give up just think how sweet its going to be when it all falls into place. Good luck

yes I even have a little shot placement card in my blind. like I said they looked like good shots. I guess the key word being "looked".

YEP YOUR RIGHT CHASIN FROM ONE COUNTY TO ANOTHER. IF THEY WOULD KEEP RUNNING DOWN HILL I THINK I COULD CATCH THEM IT'S WHEN THEY GO UP HILL WHEN THEY LEAVE ME IN THIER DUST.

I strongly believe in only shooting them in the back. (facing away or slightly quartering away) The arrow has less chance of deflection off of flight feathers, breast bone etc. It's also the quickest route to the organs, vital bone structure, spinal chord, etc.....all that good stuff. All in all I think a larger vital area. Hard to run or fly with a broken back.

Can't argue with a head shot either, though I have heard of a few unrecovered birds hit in the head with guilitines to.

Don't give up, you'll get it down. Besides, they're making more turkeys as we speak.

What are you using for broadheads? Maybe a bigger expandable or put one of those Adder barbed washers behind the broadhead to deliver more shock/less penetration. Also, try backing off the poundage.

I shoot the gobbler getters as well and had the same experiences.Here is what worked for me;dull your blades.After shooting birds with with new blades and full pass through and not recovering a one my blades became dull.I got cheap and did not replace them last year.Guess what?dull blade did not pass through,stopped at fletching and bird went 10 yds.My advice is to dull your blades and or turn down your bow.I still leave mine at 73#,just like the flight best at full bore.

I have a set of broadheads that I use for practice and also for turkeys. Try to dull some up by shooting into your practice block during the year and screw them on for turkey hunting. I really never had good luck with expandables. Good luck!

Ive heard it before some things just werent made to hunted with a bow! haha nah! Try a string tracker or game tracker I think they are called both. Then maybe you might fish him in! haha

Top Bottom