Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What are they?

Central Iowa

Life Member
Needing some help identifying these grains. I think I know the middle and right samples but want to hear what you guys think. I picked these Saturday and just took the pictures so they are a little dried out.
1106what_are_they-med.jpg

The yellow one in the middle looks like a Stanley tape measure to me!
grin.gif

I think one is winter wheat, but I am curious to hear what people in the know say.

I would say wheat, rye and barley but it's been awhile since I walked thru a field of any of them
confused.gif

To be honest I'm not sure about the middle one but you've definately got some barley and wheat there.

Interesting answers. I was sthinking Rye for the middle and Barley on the right. The one on the left "unbearded" or soft wheat?

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking Rye for the middle and Barley on the right. The one on the left "unbearded" or soft wheat?

[/ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong as rain but that's what they look like to me. No oats in there though.
Last evening a very heavy hail storm went down thru Fairfield, Stockport and headed towards the Mo. border. It never touched us but my wife said it covered the streets of FF and the highway going out of town.
It's been over 25 years ago now, but I had about 100 acres of some of the finest barley a guy could ever hope to grow. Fixin to combine it the next day when a huge hail storm flattened every acre of that barley
crazy.gif
It was a complete loss...no crop insurance...just gone.
Memories of heartbreak like that are what keep me from farming for a living anymore.
If it had been a food plot I would've just planted some turnips and been good to go!
grin.gif

Top Bottom