Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What are your thoughts?

Just wondering...

As a non-resident, I receive several items in the mail concerning outfitter/guide services, real estate companies selling farm-hunting land, etc. Even on the documents sent, they state that my name and information was obtained by the DNR in Iowa.

Now, I'll be realistic and know that my name and info is out there in cyberspace or in databanks on the internet. So, here's my question...(to other non-residents who are likely receiving the same items in the mail)
What are your thoughts on receiving solisitation in the mail after your name and address is obtained by folks trying to sell you something AFTER they have obtained your information from the state of Iowa.

Just wonderin'...

MO

Mo, I don't think I would like it, in fact, I know I would'nt. But I doubt that the Iowa DNR is selling peoples contact intel. It probably has more to do with public information laws. They may be required by law to provide information to those seeking it.

I,m pretty sure that they don't buy the list, but our NWTF chapter gets a list of everyone who got a turkey license in Davis county every year. I would guess that some one gets the NR license list and sells a service to realators and outfitters. I can't blame some one for wanting to make a buck but I don't like selling our hunting opprotunities this way.

I haven't recieved any information similar to what you are describing. I wouldn't think that the DNR would share this information but I could be wrong.

You can buy a list of non-residents who were drawn for deer tags for around $300 from the DNR. If I was on that list and recieved unwanted solicitation, I think that I would have a problem with it.

I get the same junk mail every year from Iowa hunting ranches, etc.

Here's my question about it. With groups like PETA who are militantly opposed to hunting and those of us who do, is it in good judgement for States to sell personal information about people to whoever has the cash to buy it? If someone used the information they purchased from the State to harm another person or destroy their property, couldn't they (the State) be held liable?

I guess when it happens we'll know the answer.
crazy.gif

Funny thing, I have been hunting Iowa as much as I can draw a tag oveer the last 12 years and have never had any solicitation of any kind coming out of Iowa and neither has any of the other 6 guys I hunt with. I would guess that this solicitation is originating at a source other than the DNR

Top Bottom