Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What Arrows?

Ogz

Life Member
O.k. Finally got my new Matthews all set up but am now wondering about arrow selection. It's a Q2-XL with a 31" draw @70lbs. I am thinking about aluminum because of the length but am open to suggestions. What do you guys think. I currently use 100 grain broadheads but that could change if need be.
confused.gif

I am an Aluminum arrow shooter but would recommend carbons for you and your draw length. May get a little better stability coming out of the riser at release, Just a speculation on my part. Better yet, the ACC arrows would make the perfect arrow but are costly

I shoot pretty much the same setup as you. 31 inch draw at 70 pounds. I would shoot the Blackhawk Vapors. I shoot the 4000s. They also make a 5000 which is a stiffer shaft I think. They are cheaper than Browning Goldtips and are just as good of a shaft.

I'd suggest GoldTips. I'm a little shorter than you Ogz but shoot the same poundage. Since GoldTip make their arrows according to bow poundage you could to with the 7595's and be perfectly fine. We retail a dozen of them for around $60 for the Hunters which are +/- .006 of each other. The XT's are +/- .003 of each other but cost $75 per dozen. Good shafts.
waytogo.gif

I would recommend the GoldTip 7595's also. At your draw length the carbon arrows are going to give you speed and durability. Plus, they will weigh over 400 grains providing speed and kinetic energy. The NAP Scorpion expandable 100 grain should fly just like a fieldpoint giving you the accuracy needed.

Turns out that I had 6 XX75's sitting around that are the right size so for now I'm flinging them at the range. We'll see how they work for a while. Thanks for the input!

100 g tip with a 31" draw @70 lbs seems awfully light, would have thought you would need 125 g. I do with similar draw length and weight and stiff shafts, but do shoot heavier arrows. Have you checked your arrow balance to know that 100 g is right? Just wondering, would like to know myself since there's always something new to learn.

Ogz,

Although I don't shoot a Matthews, your setup is similar to mine. I shoot 31" arrow at 68 lbs. I've always been an aluminum person and I have some advice that may or may not be valuable. If you like the XX75 arrow you'll LOVE the XX78 Super Slam with the UniNock. I made that switch last year and could notice differences in arrow flight between the two. I shoot a 2317 and it's the right arrow for the setup. Caution though, it's a very heavy arrow and drops pretty quickly beyond 25-30 yards. Hits like a ton of bricks though...been known to knock a deer off it's feet a time or two
grin.gif
Good Luck!

NWBuck

P.S. I do shoot the 100 grain head and it flies great. Helps to pick up a few fps with the heavier arrow.

Top Bottom