Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What choke do I use shooting slugs?

[email protected]

Just a lil guy
Hey everyone, I'm getting ready for shotgun hunting and there is always a debate about what choke tube we should be using in our guns while shooting slugs. Some say I should be using a full choke but I've also heard that I should be using a improved choke.

What does everyone use? I shoot a 870.

I thought if you bought a box of slugs it generally said what you should be shooting for a choke.

Personally thought its was supposed to be an open choke.

I think modified. I believe that's what the guy at Fin and Feather said that smooth bore slug barrels were. I think full choke you'd end up making it a modified or damaging you're barrel.

I've shot foster style (pumpkin) slugs from full choke barrels on an old Remington Automaster, full choke on a Winchester 37A, modified choke on my current Rem 870 and the slug barrel I had for the 870 was improved cylinder. All of them shot well and never blew up a barrel. Lead is very soft compared to barrel steel.

I think they recommend improved cylinder if you have screw in chokes.

i was told from several gun dealers not to shoot slugs thru a full choke, improved, or modified is fine, unless you would like to invest in e rifeled barrel.but again, every slug has a slight difference in circumfrence.the tighter the better.you dont want your slug sloppley making its way thru your barrel, causes radical groups.research whatever fire arm you will be using, and the manufacturer should get you close.good luck

The more open the better. That is what I was always told. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

I'm a LEO firearms instructor. You definitely want to use a modified choke. The full choke can creat a lot of CUP presure. Improved will work just fine but you will usually see better patterning and consistency with a modified choke.

For the last couple years my experience has been this. I shoot an 11-87 and was urged by many to shoot a IC with slugs. After testing many boxes of shells my results have me using a MOD with no comparison to the IC.

The Ic threw a pattern all over the place at 50 yds, couldn't believe it. There was no way I was going hunting with that.

So I threw in the Mod just to see, amazement. With the MOD I can just about put 5 shots in a cup at 115 yds, with a scope on it.

Now others shoot better with an IC so try both and see.

Top Bottom