Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what combo?

mudingbuck

PMA Member
I started muzz hunting last year. I bought a TC BONE COLLECTOR triumph.I am shooting 120 grains of triple 7 ffg powder with a 250 grain shockwave. I am having a hard time getting it sighted in. Maybe its my bullet/powder combo? What's everyone using. Anyone using this same combo.

In my experience with TC's, 90 grains of blackhorn 209 and a 250 grain Barnes TEZ sabot work wonders. If you want to stick with 777, 120 grains should be comparable to 90 grains of blackhorn.

I'd try switching your powder measurement first. Most inaccuracies I have found tend to come from having too hot of a charge. Try switching to 100 or 90 grains of the powder and see if that tightens it up a little. I'm not shooting the same combo, but have found that 90 grains of Blackhorn 209 shoots better groups out of my Accura than 100 or 110 does.

Was it already sighted in with that combo? If it was then make sure your scope is tight. If this a new load then as already mentioned, adjust you powder first. I found 150 gns of 777 with a 250 gn sabot works well, but each gun is different. Here's a punch list I swear by. Order of importance 1st

1. Swab the barrel between each shot. You hunt with a clean barrel so sight it in with a clean barrel.

2. Adjust powder loads up or down to get consistant placement at 50 yards, then adjust you scope to center. If your shots are not consistant you may have to try a different bullet.

3. After your shots are landing good at 50, stretch that to 100 and re-adjust.

A couple of hints. I marked my ramrods with a little red paint (fingernail polish) at the spot where everything is seated. A quick glance when reloading and I know it's all tight. Also, a little spit on the sabot makes it push down the barrel a bit easier.

Hope this helps. And remember..............Aim small, shoot small.

moosehunter said:
Also, a little spit on the sabot makes it push down the barrel a bit easier.

Really I thought any kind of water was bad for powder. I used bore butter when I use sabots now I use power belts with no need for it.

I went up with bullet wieght and left the powder the same to correct my issues. 295 bullet 150 777 powder.

Mobile Cooter using IW

I have the same gun also. It took me a while to get it sighted in but am driveing tacks at 100yds. 150 grain tripple 7 and 250gr shockwave.

I started cleaning after every shot.

No 2 like guns are alike, especially when it comes to muzzleloaders. There might be some similarities so any recommendations you get here are starting points only. Go up 10 grains at a time from your starting point. Shoot groups until you find the sweet spot or max out the gun's capacity. Or, go down 10 at time. When you find that sweet spot, go up or down 5 grains to see if you can further improve the group. I would also recommend at least a couple different bullets to try. Not having shot your gun, I would start at 90 or 100 grains and go up or down from there. When I shot T7, I swabbed one patch between every shot.

Also, as already mentioned, you must start by making sure it isn't the scope, the scope base, or the scope rings. Many many times, problems are there and you can chase your tail for days. Loose mounts or a junk scope can be a nightmare.

I have the Triumph also. 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 and 250 grain Shockwaves = 3 inch groups at 100 yards off my knee. I'm sure it would be a bit tighter if I benched it. That's plenty good enough for me!

250 grain Hornady SST + 150 grains of 777 + remington clean bore primer = tack driver :grin:

My gun loves a 'dirty barrel also FWIW. I had a biatch of time trying different loads and cleaning between every shot etc, until I found this out. When my gun has a clean barrel it will throw the first shot high and right and then every shot after that is perfect. Weird I know, but every gun is different and mine likes to be dirty :grin:

I have my Triumph dialed in with centerfire accuracy using the following: 125 grains of 7-7-7 & 250 grain T/C Shockwave super glide bullets. I SIGNIFICANTLY tightened my groups when I started using ballistic sub-bases by MMP. They are a little cup shaped piece of plastic that is packed in on top of the powder and before the sabot. The explosion damages the sub-bases and allows the sabot to release cleaner. I also use MMP sabots in place of the ones that come with Shockwaves as my Triumph's barrel is super tight and I almost have to stand on the rod to pack it. I don't think those effect accuracy but it makes the field process a little easier.

Also, one last thought - I always get the truest shot on the second shot after I swabbed with only spit and finished with a dry patch. If I bench clean my gun and can't take a fouling shot before hunting, I always fire a 209 primer without powder to burn off oil/butter before loading.

My bone collector is shooting tight group with 150 grains of 777 powder and a 250 grain hornaday speed load sst. zero at 100 and I feel really comfortable out to 250 if need be.

I myself have a tc triumph just not the bone collector edition. My best luck has been with 150 grains of triple 7 topped off with a 250 gr tc shockwave bullet-the bonded bullet with the blue tip. Each gun is a little different but as far as consistency goes this combo has always worked welll for me.

Sounds like the scope isn't tight to me.

Was it already sighted in with that combo? If it was then make sure your scope is tight. If this a new load then as already mentioned, adjust you powder first. I found 150 gns of 777 with a 250 gn sabot works well, but each gun is different. Here's a punch list I swear by. Order of importance 1st

1. Swab the barrel between each shot. You hunt with a clean barrel so sight it in with a clean barrel.

2. Adjust powder loads up or down to get consistant placement at 50 yards, then adjust you scope to center. If your shots are not consistant you may have to try a different bullet.

3. After your shots are landing good at 50, stretch that to 100 and re-adjust.

A couple of hints. I marked my ramrods with a little tractor paint (fingernail polish) at the spot where everything is seated. A quick glance when reloading and I know it's all tight. Also, a little spit on the sabot makes it push down the barrel a bit easier.

Hope this helps. And remember..............Aim small, shoot small.

Top Bottom