Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What day produced the most bucks this season.

Back in about 2004 I did a very unscientific "study" or data collection if you will from watching hunting videos. Essentially, I watched all the videos I had (4-5 years worth) and made a tally for each sighting or kill of what I thought was a 3 year old or older buck for hunts taking place in Iowa, Northern MO and I believe I also included IL. The results showed that the sightings and harvests increased up until November 9th and dropped off quite noticeably on the 10th so I concluded that lock down happened within a day or 2 of the 10th and planned my hunts accordingly.

It worked great for planning hunts for a few years but the last 4 or 5 the rut has seemed off to me and not on par with my "study". This year was great for me but the hot action was 3-5 days later than I expected. I wrote Alsheimer's moon theory off completely after 2003 but after the last few years I'm starting to think Alsheimer might be on to something.

Bottom line, I think I need to hunt from late Oct through gun season in MO and I'm sure to hit it good at some point. Haha...not going to happen!

Bill Winke on this week's Midwest Whitetail stated that Nov 7 is THE day. :D:way:
I'd have said 11/11 from past experience but recently early Oct has been kind to me.

Nothing but close calls for me so far, but I'll include my son's on November 3rd and Dad's trailer buck on November 15th.

Numbers and data intrigue me, which probably explains why I'm a math teacher. I am currently teaching a small Probability and Statistics class that I decided could make a neat little statistical analysis project out of this thread. Nothing like taking abstract concepts and making a real world application out of them :D It'll take them a couple of days to compile what I've asked of them, but I'll post results when they are done. Great thread 6x6 :way:

NWBuck

Last edited:
Oh yeah finally, December 5th. My 4 th bowkilled buck in as many years after December 1st. 2010 12/2, 2011 1/9, 2012 12/17, 2013 12/5

Dec 3 first day I seen a buck that was over a year old all year, and I shot him 35 yards was my first buck with a bow( 1st year bowing) best part it was on public a 2.5 to 3.5 ( not sure) 11 point am still learning how to age deer

Nov. 10th for me... had 14 different bucks cruise thru...2 mature shooters...no shot offered on first and second one was saved by a tree!:mad:

Top Bottom