Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What Distance is Good (enough)

HuntNFish

I thnk I have gathered from the postings on the fact that most of us will not reach out to far for that trophy, but what is to far I think most would say 40, what about 50, 60, would anyone take the shot at 70? What would the viewers consider good at the range, would an inch for every 10 yds be good (enough)? EX: 4"@40 & 7"@70.
smirk.gif

When you feel the shot you make is a kill shot not a hope and a prayer shot and that comes from practice and more practice

I think that your shots should be limited by your desire to "wound" a deer. If you want minimal chances than stick to 20 yards. I think the ratio you need to be concerned with is how the distance of a shot relates to wounded deer. If your willing to take your chances, shoot seventy yards.

Then again some people here will bet on the cubs.
grin.gif

This goes straight to what hunters are comfortable with.

Im a firm believer that archers from the mountains are comfortable shooting 50-60 like most the people in my area are comfortable at 20-30.

I wouldnt ever take a shot at 60 if I didnt know where my arrow was going to be, as far as dropping. I wouldnt try to figure well 62 yards I need to hold about 7 inches high, I would know EXACTLY. But that just me.

I passed one of the largest bucks I have ever seen out of the bow stand last year, becuase he was between 60 and 70. 1 I didnt know the exact distance, 2 there was no way I was comfortable shooting over 30 shaking the way I was.

Dean

i probably wont shoot at a deer over 35 yards. however im very proficient out to 45 yds. i can shoot a paper plate out to 50, but things get to be pretty inconsistent at that point

anything past 40, if the deer is on alert, its gonna jump. if its totally relaxed, you might get by with it, either way, its gonna be risky

since i just got my first bow..i don't plan on anything past 30..and believe it or not i don't care how big the deer is....i'm going to keep shooting until i get comfortable at close ranges, then i'll slowly work my way back. but not until i get VERY good with 20 yds.

Top Bottom