Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do these big rubs tell you

DarkMark

I've got about an 80-100 acre chunk of woods and about 1/3 of it is hingecut. Rarely does any body go through my timber so I'm safe to say it's basically a refuge. I just bow hunt the edges otherwise never go in. I walked through the woods checking cameras the other day and found probably 24 rubs on trees 6"-8" in diameter. I just had cameras on the south edge and not really in the center. What can you guys tell me about the buck/bucks in the area? Any info on the weight of the buck, mass of the antlers, or anything else about the antlers or body? Thanks

There probably was a good one in there but doesn't tell you much about the bucks making them. Here is a smaller buck than what a guy would imagine making a big rub.

982-dscf1145.jpg

I agree with Liv all it tells you is sometime a buck made a rub.

Agreed. The only way rubs tell me much about a buck is when there is a cluster of trees or another tree close by and I can see scratches or marks behind the main rub showing that his tines are long enough to touch way back there when his bases are against the rub. I had one case that I recognized a bucks rub due to the gouges he made with a hook tine near his base. Even then it was a guess. Rubs are better for direction indicators than anything early in the season but once a buck is cruising, he can rub anywhere from any direction.

The old rule that big bucks can make small rubs but small bucks can't make big ones doesn't always apply. Even so, I sure get excited when I see large trees torn up and gouged deep!;)

saw 6 different bucks rub the same cedar tree this year.tree about 6-8 inches
4-1.5 1-2.5 1- 3.5. not many cedars in this section and they go out of their
way to hit it. I wouldn't be surprised if 15 different bucks rubbed it this year

Top Bottom