Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you do?

Would the rule of first blood fall into play?

Like others have said if he did not get a salvage tag or put his tag on them he is breaking the law. If he wants to be a d-bag and not give them to you I would return the favor.

Last edited:
I even offered to buy them:(

Sounds like you are beating a dead horse.

Move on and forget about it. Find another buddy to hang and hunt

with and forget about it.

Say a prayer for him because I seriously feel sorry for him.

Right is right and yes they are only antlers and they belong to you IMO.

He is a tool!! I wouldn't talk to anyone ever again if that happened to me. Buddy isn't the word. Like most said, why have horns you didn't shoot if you know the person who shot it. Not saying I don't keep horns if I find a dead buck, but if I know the person who killed it.....i would give it to them in a second no questions asked.

I honestly don't see the 'allure' of these antlers anyhow. If I see a deer dead along side of the road I'm not going to stop and cut the antlers off. If I didn't harvest the animal myself....the antlers dont really matter one bit to me.

I honestly don't understand how they have any other value than what it costs to do the taxidermy. I just don't get it.

I have been on the opposite side of this story but the shooter wasn't a buddy. I found a big buck hunting the thanksgiving doe hunt one year. Deer was dead on a fence line 100yds off a road and completly eaten. What little meat was left looked fresh so I don't think it had been dead more than a few days.

I met a guy who bow hunts in the area a few weeks later and he tells me about this buck he hit on halloween and never found. Describes the buck I found perfectly so I show him a picture of it on my phone. His jaw drops and I tell him where and when I found it and that it was fairly fresh. I offered him the deer and he declined, said it probably survived the shot he put on it and got hit on the road or poached.

Two months later the guy contacts me, he is all tore up over this rack and the history he had with it. He offers to buy it and I said fine, I got the feeling he wasn't going to leave me alone unless he got the rack.

Call me a jerk, but what is the statute of limitations on claiming a deer you shot and didn't recover?

Altiman94 said:
I honestly don't see the 'allure' of these antlers anyhow. If I see a deer dead along side of the road I'm not going to stop and cut the antlers off. If I didn't harvest the animal myself....the antlers dont really matter one bit to me.

I honestly don't understand how they have any other value than what it costs to do the taxidermy. I just don't get it.

Road hit bucks are good for rattling antlers if they're decent sized. Other than that, no value to me. I have never actually stopped and sawed antlers off a roadkill buck either though.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using IW

I have been on the opposite side of this story but the shooter wasn't a buddy. I found a big buck hunting the thanksgiving doe hunt one year. Deer was dead on a fence line 100yds off a road and completly eaten. What little meat was left looked fresh so I don't think it had been dead more than a few days.

I met a guy who bow hunts in the area a few weeks later and he tells me about this buck he hit on halloween and never found. Describes the buck I found perfectly so I show him a picture of it on my phone. His jaw drops and I tell him where and when I found it and that it was fairly fresh. I offered him the deer and he declined, said it probably survived the shot he put on it and got hit on the road or poached.

Two months later the guy contacts me, he is all tore up over this rack and the history he had with it. He offers to buy it and I said fine, I got the feeling he wasn't going to leave me alone unless he got the rack.

Call me a jerk, but what is the statute of limitations on claiming a deer you shot and didn't recover?

If you were going to give it to him anyway what does it matter?

Just to throw another spin on things since everyones worried about legally tagging a rack from a dead deer what if the guy that originally shot the buck had went on to shoot and tag another deer after he lost that one?Hows he going to "legally" claim those antlers then if he doesnt have a tag?

Just to throw another spin on things since everyones worried about legally tagging a rack from a dead deer what if the guy that originally shot the buck had went on to shoot and tag another deer after he lost that one?Hows he going to "legally" claim those antlers then if he doesnt have a tag?

There was a guy on a place I hunt about 10 years ago that shot a 180s buck but couldn't find it. 3 days later he shot a 170s buck and while tracking it found his 180s buck dead. He called the CO and got a salvage tag for it. He drug out a 180s and 170s the same day.

Liv4Rut said:
There was a guy on a place I hunt about 10 years ago that shot a 180s buck but couldn't find it. 3 days later he shot a 170s buck and while tracking it found his 180s buck dead. He called the CO and got a salvage tag for it. He drug out a 180s and 170s the same day.

What he said!

200 inches or 100 inches they are just antlers!!!!

Some of us need to remember that.....they are not worth making enemies over.

In mudingbuck's case, I doubt it's the antlers themselves that is making his "buddy" a non-buddy, but rather the principle of what his "buddy" is doing to him. Pretty crappy guy if you ask me.

In mudingbuck's case, I doubt it's the antlers themselves that is making his "buddy" a non-buddy, but rather the principle of what his "buddy" is doing to him. Pretty crappy guy if you ask me.

ya, this is not a situation of Mudingbuck being greedy over a set of antlers, he is venting frustration over a former "buddy" who knowingly found a buck mudingbuck shot and refused to give it up. He has every right to be pissed, I would be! I just wish that guy would read this thread!.... :thrwrck:

ya, this is not a situation of Mudingbuck being greedy over a set of antlers, he is venting frustration over a former "buddy" who knowingly found a buck mudingbuck shot and refused to give it up. He has every right to be pissed, I would be! I just wish that guy would read this thread!.... :thrwrck:

Then he isn't really a buddy.

Who would do that to a fellow hunter much less a friend?

Why would you want to keep a deer that someone else shot?

I don't get it!!! :confused:

I'm guessing the lack of respect and ethics carry over into the rest of his life!! Let it go! I would also let him go!! No hassle! Just kinda ease outta his life!!!:way: There are a alot of better folks out there!! :drink2:

Top Bottom