Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you look for in a hunting partner???

Split_G3
after reading over onecam and oldbucks awesome mule deer hunt again(3rd time) and reading an article in Peteresen's Hunting called "In Good Company", i felt compelled to ask this question.

What are the top five characteristics you look for in a hunting partner(deer hunting), in order from most important?

these are my 5 most important characteristics

1. how ethical and how safe of a hunter he/she is
2. how you react when the tough gets goin', are you going to quit or keep going?
3. knowlege of deer and deer hunting
4. are you as passionate as i am
5. must have a sense of humor and a very positive attitude, kind of off the wall, but it's important to me

Reliablity and the ability to motivate each other when the negative mindset comes into play.

Split,

Those would be good qualities for a wife to.
smirk.gif

All I want in a huntin partner is someone who will drag out my deer and butcher it to.
grin.gif

Somebody whose skills and knowledge complement my own so we mutually benefit from working together. But they also have to realize that the overall journey and sharing that time with another individual is more important that making a harvest ... getting a great animal is just icing on the cake (head on the beer!)
beerchug.gif

I am usually a solo hunter....I like the company on turkey hunts but when it comes down to Mature buck hunting, I usually takle it alone. Not that I am anti social or think I am a better hunter than others....I just have a particular mindset when I head into the woods.

If you get a tag, I will let you come kill one I guess......
grin.gif
But the same goes for my next Iowa tag
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Im with Shredder, I mainly hunt solo, but I do pheasant hunt, and sometimes muzzleloader hunt with friends. So keep your gun in the air when walking and dont be a birdhog!Oh ya, and dont shoot at anything on the ground, my dogs down there dang-it!

I love bowhunting with a buddy.To me there is just an adrenaline rush not only when you connect but when you see your buddy coming towards you fists pumping and the look of excitement on their face.To me a good hunting partner is also a good friend.Someone who already has their tag filled and wants to come rattle for youor video for you.

I always hunt with my brother up here in Alaska, I always hunt alone when im pursueing whitetail...

But what ever happens the next day I just want to have fun and enjoy myself while in any woods or mountain. Good post Pete, Any one that can apprieciate the outdoors and all gods creations can hunt with me as long as they can take a little sarcasism
grin.gif

I like huntin with my brother too cuz he was better than me at all sports but I can out hunt him any day of the week he might have the worst shot I have ever seen with a shotgun but somehow gets a deer every year with a bow. I also enjoy bird huntin too like bradsbucks don't shoot anything on the ground cuz my dog is down there and if it is wounded she is gonna chase it down. But to me I don't think there is anything better than sittin in a duck blind with 3 or 4 or your buddies bullcrappin being loud as you want and the ducks come to you lol and I can kill them a lot easier than I can a deer. so to me ya they have to be able to be sarcastic and be safe

Renobber

I can go either way when it comes down to hunting with a partner. I'm at peace when I'm hunting, it's the only place where I can tune out all the crappy stuff. I need a hunting partner whose focus on the joy of the hunt matches mine. I focus on the hunt itself, but I never forget to enjoy the privilege of being outdoors.
Ethics are big, no matter how big the buck, if it aint legal, I'm not doing it. Believe me, I've missed out on some nice deer because of it.
Sense of humor, I don't take myself too seriously. Besides, no one else does either. It makes everything easier if you can laugh off disappointment.
Dedication, you've got to be willing to put in the time and sweat to make it happen.
My only hunting partner these days is my wife, and while she doesn't possess all these qualities, she's still my favorite hunting partner. Hell, she doesn't complain about the dead things on the walls,and she even made the curtains in the living room out of Mossy Oak Treestand cammo,what's not to like?

I agree with Shredder on being in the woods by yourself when after a mature buck.Because I can move around to different places in the woods without messing it up for my partner.And sometimes I just want to enjoy nature at its finest,and the peace and quiet.But after the big buck has been taken I enjoy taking friends out to help them score.

that right there is basicly it. but during turkey hunting, i hunt with me unle or my grandfather(there both very good hunters they know what they are during)

My brother is my hunting partner, we rag each other alot but our main goal is having a good time with it. Another reason we are good hunting partners is because the one that doesn't get the deer is happier than the guy who did get the deer. Absolutely no jeliousy and plenty of respect for each other is what makes it great! That is what makes a hunting partner for life.

Top Bottom