Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What does a Monster mean to you?

Doubleaarc hery

Just a fun question.....

What does it mean to you to shoot a monster? What is it that makes the elusive B&C buck so important? Is it the mount on the wall? The story you keep to yourself? What you tell your friends? The reward for the hard work?

What is it that drives you(us) to strive to kill the big boy?

Also, What do you consider a monster!?!?!?

What makes that elusive buck so important to me is the feeling I get when a True Giant is within site. Heart starts pounding out of my chest, legs start shaking, the rush you get when you think it is all going to pan out, and your mind goes to mush.In the last few final moments, everything goes calm. That's probably why I have never scored on a true giant. Mistakes in the final moments, but it is a memory and feeling I will never lose. Just the pure posture of a true giant alone is like no other buck out there. He know's hes bad strutting through the woods.

I'd consider a monster anything that nets over 190 typical as a 10 pt +. 170+ net as an 8 pt, 200+ nontypical.

Dang liv, your standards are freakin high.

I'd consider a monster any 10 point frame scoring over 165, any 8 point frame scoring over 155, and of course, anything B&C caliber.

It means being able to make a plan come together, or being just plain lucky whichever comes first it doesn't matter the end result is the same. The feeling of self accomplishment, knowing all the hard work was worth it. Outsmarting a truly incredible animal. Having him on the wall and being able to look at him and relive that moment whenever you want. I find myself daydreaming all the time. Something like this is also what bonds this huge family of hunters together and keeps our hunting rights available. Spending time with family friends. I could go on and on but without hunting my life would be pretty #@$% boring.

To ME a "MONSTER" is a BUCK that's 5 & 1/2 and older. I don't care about score. i feel at 5 & 1/2 he's finally FULLY MATURE and is one of the hardest deer in the world to kill.

Personally, I won't submit his score or enter him into the books. *It doesn't bother me one bit if people do though. I'll be proud of him and proud to show my buddies the pictures & I'll put the pictures on my website and on here for the same reason I like seeing other's pictures- it's just awesome, fun and I love seeing big bucks!

I do work very hard at this and pass up TONS of less mature bucks, I am also proud when I pass up a 4 &1/2 that's 160" that i know could be 180" next year- I'm super proud if I shoot him that next season which I've been lucky enough to do on occasion! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A monster is any of a large number of legendary creatures which usually appear in mythology, legend, or horror fiction. The word originates from the ancient Latin monstrum, meaning "omen", from the root of monere ("to warn") and also meaning "prodigy" or "miracle".

Saint George versus the Dragon, by Gustave Moreau (1880)The term "monster" refers to a being that is a gross exception to the norms of some ecosystem.
</div></div>

My emotions mirror liv's...I've shot plenty of deer and see untold numbers but only one or two "monsters" have made my knees knock and my hands shake. Don't know what they would have scored...don't care...they were BIG!

I look for a "personal best" and that is a long ways from a monster, but just seeing a buck even close to a B&C class is an awesome feeling! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

This is what I consider to be a monster.

godzilla.jpg

To answer the question though I'd have to say LIV hit it pretty well. There are a fair number of "hogs, pigs, tanks, smokers, giants, and cookers" out there but a truely monstrous deer is something I've yet to see in the wild on the hoof. A great example of a true monster is Saskguys muzzleloader buck from a couple years ago or Bowman's mule deer from this year, simply awe inspiring.

The scores I gave were just what I think a monster is, it is by no means what I am waiting for out there. You know how it is, a buck is a 120 incher or less, a nice buck is a 130-150 incher. A big buck is a 150-170 incher. A booner is a booner, and a MONSTER is a MONSTER.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scores I gave were just what I think a monster is, it is by no means what I am waiting for out there. You know how it is, a buck is a 120 incher or less, a nice buck is a 130-150 incher. A big buck is a 150-170 incher. A booner is a booner, and a MONSTER is a MONSTER. </div></div>

I agree with you now, I was thinking along the lines of personal agenda.

You always bring personal agendas to the table Brian. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Any buck over 2 1/2 yrs old is great to see. Muddy said it pretty well with his post. I've seen alot of gret deer in my life, I believe I can say I saw 4 monsters, twice I was tagged out, one was where I couldn't shoot him and one I was lucky enough to take. I'll see alot of great bucks in my life ahead, hopefully another monster or 2.

I'd say the 110 incher I saw the first time back in 1971. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Other than that Liv knows what I call a monster and he pretty much said it in his post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What do you consider a monster!?!?!? </div></div>

hoofline.gif

I would call this deer a monster.

candlestick_side_profile_1_.JPG

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

To me... getting a monster would be stickin an arrow through that dang thing that's always makin noise in my closet at night.

when i describe a buck as a "monster", i mean huge, score doesnt really mean anything, but it gives everyone an idea of how big the "monster" is, so i would say at least 180 class or larger.

I still get pretty excited when i see bucks in the 140 range. But i would say 160 and up would be a monster to me!

I agree 100% with Blaster. Mature deer get me pretty excited because they are so elusive. I never get sick of seeing a "big' buck crusin through the woods. I did miss a 200" deer though at 8 am on Nov. 10 2000. The farmer found his sheds the next year and we grossed him at 196. That was a bad, and yet a good day. I have never seen anything like him since and I still think about it with a smile because I know the amount of hard work I put in every year is fueled by the hope that one day I'll get another chance at an animal of that magnitude.

Top Bottom