Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What does it take?

wegner36

I know there are many people on this site that have managed a deer herd or managed a property for deer, so i was kind of wondering a few things and thought i could turn here for some educated advice/answers.

1.How much ground do you think it takes to reasonably manage a deer herd?

2. Does it make a difference if this is straight timber or riverbottom?

3.If one owns property but it is not all combined, such as several different farms in a section, how well can they manage a deer herd? Granted i know a lot of this lies in your nieghbors hands but they all seem decent in the QDM dept.

4. Does pastured riverbottom work well for QDM?

5.What type of ground is your QDM program set up on?

Granted i know there are a lot of variables in these scenarios, but i just want a few opinions on broad topics, thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wegner36</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know there are many people on this site that have managed a deer herd or managed a property for deer, so i was kind of wondering a few things and thought i could turn here for some educated advice/answers.

1.How much ground do you think it takes to reasonably manage a deer herd?

2. Does it make a difference if this is straight timber or riverbottom?

3.If one owns property but it is not all combined, such as several different farms in a section, how well can they manage a deer herd? Granted i know a lot of this lies in your nieghbors hands but they all seem decent in the QDM dept.

4. Does pastured riverbottom work well for QDM?

5.What type of ground is your QDM program set up on?

Granted i know there are a lot of variables in these scenarios, but i just want a few opinions on broad topics, thanks!

</div></div>

I think most hunter/landowner's attempt at least some level of QDM no matter if they have 40 or 4000 acres. I think it's actually easier on smaller acreage's with the right kind of cover.

Doe groups have a pretty small home range if they have all they need. I watch the same deer come in and out of 40 acres every night to feed...they have all they need.

QDM is much more then "bucks" because one needs to control the does at the same time you are letting the small/immature bucks walk. Killing does is relatively easy if you set some goals and determine to do it.

Tha main problem I see is holding mature bucks on one's property. If there is better cover next door..they will spend their time there and most likely die there. I believe serious undisturbed cover is a huge factor in any "management plan". Food is easy but cover is another story.

The river bottom is a great "hunting spot" but not the greatest cover if your hoping to hold a mature buck, something I suspect you already know.

You need to establish a plan and see if there is any possiblity of including your neighbors in that plan.

Can you get the stock out of the bottom land?

not grazing the pasture isn't an option, it's my dad's farm and that is part of the farm payment, in the distant future say 10-20 years it is feasible but as far as immediatly, unfortunatly it is not an option.

we do have some good cover at the ends of our property and we own several other farms within a mile that border the river, not what i would call river bottom since they sit 30-50 ft up an incredibly sharp bank. but they both provide pretty decent bedding/cover.

as far as the neighbors, i will have to talk with them and see.

DT said it best when he was talking about secure cover. I think a thick bedding area that is secure is THE most important factor in trying to create what most of us are looking for. Deer will travel for food sources, but when it comes to hunting bucks in November, being able to hold doe's on your property is much more important than anything else involved. Not only do they need good cover, they need to feel secure to stay there. I wouldn't worry over the size of the property too much unless you have a huge section to manage, creating a desireable safe haven for the deer in your area is more important than any food plot or field, although having a feeding area close to a bedding area would definately be beneficial. Not sure if this answered any of your questions, went off on a bit of a short rant here. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">part of the farm payment </div></div>

I hear ya...most of us are in the same boat /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

You just have to work with what you have and maximize whatever potential is available.

You (and hopefully your neighbors) can work on a plan to better the buck/doe ratio.

Establish some kind of guidelines as that what size/age bucks you will harvest.

Work on the cover areas that are not in pasture and make the most of it by hinge cutting poor quality trees (better to involve your local forester), plant conifers like red cedar and perhaps start establishing some mast trees both hard and soft.

You certainly can improve your situation with a plan...and any plan should be subject to change as needed. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom