Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What happened?

Not bad in Minnesota, but I expected more ! It’s the full moon, that might have some impact ?

I sat Friday afternoon, had a forky in the plot early, that was the only deer I saw close. Saw another forky bumping a doe 400 yards away. It was a colossal disappointment. Not sure if the full moon hurt me or not? I generally don’t pay much attention to the moon phase, as I have limited opportunities to hunt.

Keep in mind expectations need to be in check. Good movement IMO is not big/mature deer flying around crazy, mature deer know to conserve energy and they know when the time is right which is still 7-14 days out. My expectations for this date with the temps we are having and full moon is feed to bed movement with mature deer moving in daylight a little later in the AM and a little earlier in the evening. Scrape action in staging areas was good last night with mature deer.

I've been seeing tons of bucks and a couple of mature bucks. Just nothing I want to shoot yet...I'll go after the mature culls late season or let someone else shoot them.

Saturday evening was slow but Sunday morning and evening I had great encounters with a few 3 years olds and a 4+ buck I just wasn't ready to shoot at this point.

decent long weekend here. sat on food Saturday and Sunday. good deer movement each sit but only one decent 10 on Sunday evening. sitting in the timber all day Monday. so far have seen 4 bucks. one was a target buck chasing a doe right in front of me. chasing being the key word. he wouldn't stop. I've had them ignore me doing this before but this guy sped up when I mouth grunted at him

90% I talked to “not great”. I’ve seen a ton of good deer on feet. Im a little stumped as to why I’m seeing good ones & others not - I am a lousy hunter so this is especially a mystery ;).
Keep at it guys. I’m personally Sneaking in back door in am where will not bump em in timber type areas. Food & scrape type in PM. If plots- green over grain big time.
Oh- one thing to add…. There’s thousands of acres of corn up around me. I bet part of what is frustrating some folks….. not saying “they live in the corn” but they absolutely will make homes in the small tree lines & wood lots & grassy areas around corn until it comes out. Good luck guys- the good stuff ahead and no matter the year or weather …… after decades of any scenario - every year is still just HARD!!!! We have selective rose-colored memories. Maybe the time we tagged out early or had a killer day….. reality is- it’s always tough and hard hunting. The dudes that can handle the mental game & stick with it hard will always do best when average season after season.

Yesterday evening I seen 2 bucks with does, a 150s 4 year old that I know and another 140 9 pointer bedded with a doe.
Older buck was busy chasing off a small buck for 2 hours. Both were far off, but was good to see them around.

Seen 2 bucks this morning one 170s 6×6 he was with a doe 100 yards off the road. And other buck was out looking.

My son just sent me an "in the field photo" where there are 5, FIVE I tell you, deer in it. Yee Ha. That is the most we have seen at one time this year. We got HAMMERED by EHD, as did all kinds of other people in our region...just HAMMERED.

I hadn't seen a mature buck all fall while farming. Saw one yesterday afternoon and another one this morning. Also pulled a dead doe out of our pond this morning. Been dead a while.

Did a hang and hunt Monday afternoon. Hadn’t pulled the bow up yet and saw antlers coming. Enough brush to get the bow up but it wasn’t needed, 2.5 yr old 8 pointer. Nice tall G2 and G3’s but weak brows. See you in a couple of years. Dozen does feeding in the alfalfa on the way out, two groups of six does each.

Yesterday was DEAD with the gale force winds, pretty much what I expected but gave it a try for 3 hrs anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riding around the section the last few nights lots of young bucks out looking and chasing. Saw a 160 ish ten point yesterday and a 170+ plus tonight. Have been seeing more 2.5 and older bucks this fall than 1.5 year old which is odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip,

I 100% agree with you about the corn. I am basically surrounded by corn right now. I have gone out a few times and everytime I can hear them in the corn, but can't get an eye on them. Now with this SSW winds here thru the weekend, I am using this time to button up everything and just wait it out. Fingers crossed that they get it picked before Monday when the WNW winds start back up and it will be go time. Good luck all and be safe!!!!

Top Bottom