Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What happened?

E

emmasdad

My dad just got his bow back from the shop (new string) and he came over to shoot. His draw weight seemed lower and the arrows would drop 5-6 inches from 10 -20 yards. My question is what did they do or not do when they put this new string on? Is it possible that they put too long of a string on? Do you think they didn't check the draw weight before and after? Could something be broke? I'm having him take it back to the shop but I'm just curious what some of you might think it could be.

It really could be any number of things, the peep sight might be in the wrong place, nock heigth might be different, string and cables might need to be twisted up some, loop might be different, check the timing marks on the cams, sometimes you can get a new string on and have it pretty close to the same as it was, but sometimes you need to re-do everything. Sounds like the string and cables need twisted up some and the peep needs to be moved.
good luck

My guess is they forgot what the draw weight was before the put it on the press to put the string on...

where did he take it?

Yea , sounds like he lowered the draw weight prior to pressing it and forgot to return it back to it's original weight. I try not to leave my equipment at any archery shop, I like to watch to make sure repairs are done properly. My $0.02.

Not sure why they would turn the poundage down just to put a new string on??? Bout has to be the peep location or twists on the string. Is he shooting bullet holes through paper? Might be too high of a nocking point?

Thanks for all the input guys. Supertec, we only had time to shoot a couple dozen arrows so I never got a chance to have him shoot paper. I've taken my bow to this shop before with satisfactory results. I've been doing all the work on our bows myself but I don't have a press so I'm at the mercy of a shop for a string. I hate that. I'd buy a press but I plan on switching to a recurve within the next couple of years. Gotta have the $$$. I love shooting my compound but the simplicity of the recurve is luring me. This incident just reinforces how bad I want one. I shoot with River Bottom Boy alot and I always throw a few from his Widow. If he's not careful I may steal it when he's not looking. Anyway, thanks again guys, I'll let you know how it turns out.

When a string streches the draw weight and length increase. If there was alot of strech when the correct length string was put on there would be a noticeable differnce in weight and point of impact. That is why when you change strings you must retune your bow.

Top Bottom