Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What have you ate?

Shovelbuck

I was just thinking of some of the different wild critters that I have had the pleasure or disspleasure of eating. I'm not including fish, reptiles or birds in the list, just mammals. Here's my list... Buffalo, whitetail, muledeer, antelope, elk, black bear, squirrel, cottontail, jackrabbit, racoon, beaver, prairie dog. I would like to try possum some day. How about the rest of you? What have you eaten?
confused_em8.gif
I forgot one...ferel hog

Great topic. All the above except jackrabbit and prairie dog, then add cougar, caribou, kudu, moose, impala, gemsbok, springbok, hartebeest, wildebeest, warthog and elephant. I do tend to be a little on the carnivorous side of the omnivores.

Just happened to have a buffalo t-bone two nights ago that was better than most resturant beef steak I've ever eaten.

Old buck

Whoa! Possum?! I've never had it, so I really can't call you crazy or anything, but I've never pictured it as any kind of gourmet dish or anything. Care to shed some light?

Squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, grouse, partridge, turkey, dove, coon, muskrat, turtle, elk and deer(my favorite) I was tricked into eating the coon and muskrat at a local game feed. I was to old it was rabbit and venison when dished up. Wasn't to bad though. Coon was fried and the muskrat was BBQ, go figure.

oooh moose,I like moose the best and its been a long time.Elk is runner up.

Ate a Great Plains Toad once, can't say I would recommend it or this type of behavior and it sure won't stay down long if your lucky. I never did find this as amusing as my brother did but lets just say one learns for his mistakes.

IAdroptine

How about those good ol' Iowa farm pond frog legs. The key to those is eating em when they're still twitchin'. Mmmmmm Mmm!

The worst was pan fried bobcat.

I've seen coon and possum eating some nasty crap so I'll let the rest of you eat them!

My black bear was very good! Far better than iI expected after others comments. My wife is more than ready for another one.

I'd like to go after antelope. I was told they suck! Is this the case?

I know one thing for sure. It makes a huge difference how stressed the animal was prior to it's death. Not to mention field care.

For some reason alot of those animals don't really interest me.

scout,

I've heard very mixed reviews on antelope from great to inedible. I think you are on track with the meat care issue. I try to always get them gutted and cooled ASAP. I also always bone my own animals which I think is better than cutting up bones with a saw.

Another thing that I've heard is important with antelope is to not let the hair touch the meat. The antelope I've eaten are similar to mulies and whitetail.

Old Buck

for the worst try not knowing what ur doing and putting a duck in a croc pot.

OK, I've let this one go long enough. I realize it is really not considered "wild" game meat (unless you've been there when they're harvested
shocked.gif
), but we have to give proper attention to Rocky Mountain Oysters. Not sure if many communities have them any more but used to be an annual benefit "feed" for this. My preference is for those of the swine variety. Just another good reason to help your farmer/landowner friends...

I've eaten just about every thing imaginable. It was fun when the local gun club used to have the annual wild game feeds. Coons ,possum, to bear and caribou. I'm still angry we can't have them anymore. That's a different story.

Anyway crows are worst thing I've ever eaten in my life!!! I was always taught to eat what I shoot, but guess what, I'm done eating crows!
Pupster

If you ever get the chance, try some spicy alligator tail. Breaded and fried. Damn good appetizer! Combine that with some shrimp, crawdad, hushpuppies, and black eyed peas. A meal fit for a southern king.

There are lots of critters out there to enjoy. We're blessed with variation and different tastes.
Some I've had include; Rabbit, Squirrel, Woodchuck, Coon, Elk, Antelope, Caribou and of course Whitetail.
I agree with Scout and Old Buck, quick kill and good care is crucial. Nothing worse than traumatized meat.

Top Bottom