Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is 700 acre lease worth?

C

corygnc1

I'm looking at a 700 acre parcel to lease. It is all together and is very prime land. Secluded (very little road frontage), water, has 350 acres of corn and 350 timber. Timber is in patches and consists of oaks, cedars, walnuts, etc.

Timber isn't pastured and there are spots where I could put in food plots that would be excellent.

What is going rate now for leasing the land?

Is it so much for the timber and so much for the farmground?

Thanks very much for all the imput!

Lease ground has been going for 8-10 dollars an acre, unless your in a hot spot, where the land owner knows he can get more.

Is that just for timber or for both crop and timber?

Thanks very much!

A GOOD Average would be $10 a acre for the hunting ground. Now if you were the farmer and were leasing the crop land $80- 100 per acre would be a going rate, based on yields, soil condition, irragation etc. GOOD LUCK!! I am all in !!!!

[ QUOTE ]
What is going rate now for leasing the land?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about leasing hunting rights only...or ALL rights to the land, pasture farmland etc.?

In my area leases go from $40-80 per acre for hunting rights ONLY.

Most farmland leases anywhere from 80 to as high as 200 bucks an acre.

Here...one normally leases the hunting rights only and someone else leases the farmland...however the hunting lease is per acre for the WHOLE farm...not just timber
smirk.gif

Unless you have a lease written in blood...you can be out bid the following year.

"Less sought after areas" might not have so much competition...but that's how it works around here.

dbltree is right on the price of farm ground. It is crazy around here, since the 4 dollar corn. A farm with a CSR of 65 or higher, be prepared to pay 190+ an acre. If it is just the hunting rights you are after, check with the farmer of the ground (granted it is leased ground) and the land owner. You may be able to rent the hunting rights alot cheaper, if the farmer is not interested in hunting. You can look at it this way, land owner is getting 170 an acre for farming rights, an extra 10 dollars an acre for hunting rights would be good for him, and about as cheap as your going to get it, take it the farmer of the land has no problem with it. Doesn't hurt to check. Or also you may be able to sub-lease the hunting rights from the farmer, take it the land owner has no problem with it. Don't quote me, but I think by law, the farmer has all rights to the property, but no farmer this day and age is going to ruin a relationship over land over a sub-lease, so its good to have both parties involved.

[ QUOTE ]

In my area leases go from $40-80 per acre for hunting rights ONLY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unbelievable, say it aint so!! I must be living under a rock or something. I assume prices that high must be driven by outfitter competition?
confused.gif
confused.gif

$80 x 700 acres = $56,000

Do you think leases will ever get this high?

[ QUOTE ]
$80 x 700 acres = $56,000

Do you think leases will ever get this high?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chump change around here...but there is always the chance you could run across someone that's clueless
smirk.gif

Always ads in the paper here to buy or lease land.

Outfitters are a problem some places but many times it's just competition among small groups of hunters who bid for leases.

If your wondering how much to offer...start low and work your way up!

Top Bottom