Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

WHAT is going on?

B

buckmaster

i saw deer everywhere last weekend one buck after another. And the rut was at its best but this weekend i didnt see a deer?!?!(i hunt mornings) can anyone help me out?
madgo_ron.gif
madgo_ron.gif

????? My thoughts too. The rut must be winding down fast or the bucks are all busy right now. Noticed the same thing, but that doesn't say that the hunt is over just the main round of rut may be over. Al

I took two weeks off of work and have been bow hunting in my stand from daylight to dusk. I have an API climber and have been rotating stand locations depending on the wind direction. I hunt mostly funnels that are between harvested grain fields and known doe bedding areas. I set up fairly close to the bedding areas but not so close as to scare off the does. I also have several stand locations on heavy timbered ridges that I have seen a number of really good bucks on during my scouting with field glasses.

I am seeing a good number of bucks each day,
and have made the following observations from my stand locations here in Southwest,Ia.

From daylight until 11:00 a.m. I have seen very few bucks. What I did see were young bucks with small basket type racks, forkies, and spikes.

From 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. I have seen several lone bucks traveling by themselves apparently seeking does, not large bucks, but larger than my morning sightings.

The greatest number of larger racked buck sightings occurred between 1:30 and 2:45 p.m. I have passed on six of them that would score 135-145 during this time frame.

Buck sightings from 3:00 p.m. until dark have been 0.

I know there are some very large bucks in the area that I hunt, I have been scouting them for most of the summer and fall. I can only guess that there are fewer does to breed right now and the big boys are holed up with them while the smaller bucks continue to search. Any thoughts?

Still seeing a lot of doe and fawns together. Are they still to come into heat yet? Will this be a long rut season?

I believe that the full moon supresses morning buck movement. mid day activity always picks up during the full moon.
My 2 cents.
Pupster

Buckmaster

Not hunting around Glenwood area, have been hunting around Clarinda and Bedford.

Promise Land,

Not going to tell you all of the places that I hunt around the Bedford area, but I will tell you that I have permission to hunt property next to the state park down there.

May I ask why you want to know?

why questions on the glenwood are because i get a chance to hunt down there for a weekend or 2. and one of those would be next. i was wondering how the rut is going. i live in northeast iowa and dont get to spend much time down there. i love hunting those ditches. theres some big deer down there.

Blake, I hunt Adams and Taylor Counties and own land near Guss. I would agree with you on the movement patterns of the deer in that area. Although I have seen quite a few bucks in the evening within the past week. I to was seeing the big boys around 2 to 3 p.m. Good hunting.

confused_em8.gif
I hunt in Clayton county (NEIowa) hunted 4 days last week thurs- sun had the same sucess you are talking about. The weekend before deer running rampent everywhere. I saw a total of 4 shooter bucks in the 4 days, all at the time between 11 am & 2pm.
All lone bucks moving from one area to another.
A person would have thought that there were no deer in the area at all but I know better. I have came to the conclusion the full moon must be the problem. Had the same thing a few years ago with a full moon in the middle of the "rut" was like all the deer dissapeared for a week or so but I took a 158 5/8th 11 pointer on Thanksgiving morning that year so I still have hope
grin.gif

Blake,
I hunt NW of Bedford, one of the places I have permission to hunt there is some from Clarinda that also has permission. Wasn’t trying to be noisy.

promise land,

I didn't think you were being noisy, and yes I do have several farms NW of Bedford that I have permission to hunt on, maybe will see you around that part of the country one of these days?

Top Bottom