Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is herd carrying capacity

10hunter

PMA Member
We appear to have a healthy herd on the farm that I hunt predominantly. We harvest some does but have slowed this the past few years due to the herd being down from where it was years ago. What is a sustainable number of deer to try to maintain on our farm? How can you determine this? Tough part for us also is we gain deer in winter from surrounding ag land. I have never seen deer starving in my area even when we had high numbers a decade ago. Just trying to decide if we should harvest more does in late muzzleloader. Is there a number of acres per deer you all try to manage to or how do you feel this should be determined?

What's the make up of area as far as timber to crop? Food plots? Is there lots of thick timber? CRP? Vast ag areas?

We appear to have a healthy herd on the farm that I hunt predominantly. We harvest some does but have slowed this the past few years due to the herd being down from where it was years ago. What is a sustainable number of deer to try to maintain on our farm? How can you determine this? Tough part for us also is we gain deer in winter from surrounding ag land. I have never seen deer starving in my area even when we had high numbers a decade ago. Just trying to decide if we should harvest more does in late muzzleloader. Is there a number of acres per deer you all try to manage to or how do you feel this should be determined?

My observations are the same as yours. Even in no hunting parks and cities, the habitat can handle large populations of deer, although they do change and destroy the habitat. I have seen "browse lines" in areas before but they are a thing of the past around here. I think the actual carrying capacity of the habitat is much higher than we think it would be, especially in farmground types of habitat like we have here in IA. Personally, I would let your late season does get a free pass.

If managing for trophy bucks, a herd well below carrying capacity is what you need. Like 150 stated, if your timber has browse lines, time to thin them out. Aside from that, usable habitat is what determines carrying capacity. If your farm is stacked with quality bedding, browse, nutrient rich foods and water sky's the limit!

The river bottom tract is short of 500 acres . 50\50 mix timber and WRP surrounded by similar land on both sides and vast ag land with some scattered timber other directions. We have twenty acres of food plots with brassicas, clover, alfalfa, rye and oats. There appears to be good numbers to me but many surrounding areas seem to be off numbers still. We manage for mature deer and I understand not wanting numbers too high for "growing bucks" but also It seems higher doe numbers attract mature\dominant bucks.

Well, i'd say if your property is pulling deer from other farms for the winter you have plenty of capacity, and shooting what you consider "extra does", you are really reducing the population of your neighbors deer. I've seen food plots and cover in the winter double the deer population pretty easily. If you are concerned with the recent reductions in deer numbers, lay off the does this season. Let them rebound on your neighbors and rely on your early season trail cameras to determine your actual population.

Top Bottom