Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is the best one pin bow sight?

buckfever57

bowhunt or die
Right now I have a 5 pin truglo but I have always been thinking about getting a one pin bow sight. I have looked into hha and the truglo range rover archers choice. I like how the hha has a easy set up but have heard you can't add a quiver. And I like the small slim design of the truglo but don't know how the set up would be. I was looking at what you guys thought about them and what would be better. The only down fall I can see is that you have it set at 20 yds and the deer scares off to 40 yds when u are drawn back you would have to let down and reset or guess the yardage.

HHA is the way to go. You can have a quiver you just need to get spacers and bigger bolts to attach your quiver. Once you start to shoot the one pin you will start to recognize how much drop you have in your arrow at different yardages. I have shot several deer over 35 with my pin set at 20 or 25. It really isn't a big difference.

A one pin site cost me a 170+ buck on the last day of bow season 10 years ago. Still haunts me to this day..... Basically I knew he was coming as I saw him coming down the hill on the opposite ridge. Once he got in the bottom I couldn't see him but could hear him crunching in the snow. When he popped out he was about 40 yards away and I was set up for closer. It was 10 below that day and I was cold. I couldn't get it moved fast enough and he walked through my 5 foot lane and out of my life.

I could of just aimed high and shot but I did not want to gimp him. I put that site on just after christmas as it was a present. I wish to this day I would of kept my old 4 pin site on.

I obviously don't like them. Back then though I was shooting a slow bow, maybe 240fps so trajectory was a lot greater than my current set up. You can get away with more with today's bows compared to the old bow I had at the time.

HHA. I'm considering a switch to a single pin. Will depend on how my new bow performs with one tho.

Say it ain't so mudd.

Mike's story makes me sick just thinking about it, but I feel confident out to about 45 without adjusting and feel like farther than that I should have enough time.

Say it ain't so mudd.

Mike's story makes me sick just thinking about it, but I feel confident out to about 45 without adjusting and feel like farther than that I should have enough time.

Unfortunately Nikki, it's time to hang that bow up.

HHA without a doubt.

I leave my pin at 25 yards and have practiced to know where to aim out to 40 yards. If you have time it's easy to move the pin, if not you will have practiced enough to know where to aim. No issues.

I started years ago with 3 pins. Moved to 5 pins. Grabbed an hha in 2003 I believe. Fell in live with the thing and have set up 50-60 for different people. I recently just put a spot hogg tommy hog single pin on my bow and I couldn't be happier with this new sight. It is one well built piece of machinery. Pricy yes. Doesnt come with any sort of sight tapes but it is bulletproof.
In all the years I shot an hha sight I had no problems with setup or anything breaking or coming lose. For someone just getting into a single pin I would reccomend hha all day.
The same set up tapes and yardage tapes from hha will work on any slider sight that functions the same way though. That's always a plus.

HHA without a doubt.

I leave my pin at 25 yards and have practiced to know where to aim out to 40 yards. If you have time it's easy to move the pin, if not you will have practiced enough to know where to aim. No issues.

That was going to be my approach, practice anything enough and it should become second nature.

Another item to consider. I have seen a number of vids which show bucks dropping 6-12+ inches to plant their bodies to bolt at the sound of the bowstring (mainly on shots from 25-40 yards). I suspect with most of todays bows, an HHA or similar sight shooting at a 25 yards setting will be "dropping" that arrow in the kill zone out to at least 35 and most likely 40. That is the an additional way I would analyze the settings of such a sight on your bow. If you are holding mid-chest and it drops to 10-12 inches at 40, you are going to 10-ring that animal in most cases.

A year ago I would have agreed and said HHA because they make a great sight.

If I were putting a single pin sight on my hunting bow today it would be a Black Gold Ascent. I like their design better as it allows for a detachable quiver mounted like normal, no spacing it way out to the side to make it work.

I went with an HHA last year and shot 4 deer with it. I would have a hard time going back to multiple pins, plus if its between an HHA and a truglo, HHA is made in USA, truglo is made in china

The reason I left the black gold ascent out is because it is nearly impossible to read your sight tape. I had one for about an hour before I returned it. The spot hogg is the easiest to see your yardage that I have found

One if the reasons I liked the truglo is for the small size and weight and it sits close to the bow and will allow my quiver to sit close to the bow. I like the hha for ease of use and durability but I like to have my quiver close to my bow and want to keep weight down as much as possible.

Ive used an HHA slider for at least 7 years and not a single issue. No matter the bow, it gets the same sight.

A one pin site cost me a 170+ buck on the last day of bow season 10 years ago. Still haunts me to this day..... Basically I knew he was coming as I saw him coming down the hill on the opposite ridge. Once he got in the bottom I couldn't see him but could hear him crunching in the snow. When he popped out he was about 40 yards away and I was set up for closer. It was 10 below that day and I was cold. I couldn't get it moved fast enough and he walked through my 5 foot lane and out of my life.

I could of just aimed high and shot but I did not want to gimp him. I put that site on just after christmas as it was a present. I wish to this day I would of kept my old 4 pin site on.

I obviously don't like them. Back then though I was shooting a slow bow, maybe 240fps so trajectory was a lot greater than my current set up. You can get away with more with today's bows compared to the old bow I had at the time.

Set mine at 40yds when I first set it up, and have never moved it since, no probs. See Bjohnsons reply above, useful info. Practice at all ranges a lot and you'll be just fine. Single pin sight has removed the guess work/confusion of multiple colored pins at the moment of truth.

I have been shooting a decent bit the past week after pulling the trigger on a new rest (Ripcord Code Red). After getting it dialed in, I did some shooting at 25 yards and then moved to 35 yards while leaving my HHA set on 25 yrds. The arrow impact dropped about 5-6 inches. This should drop the arrow right in the kill zone out to almost 40 yards if the animal squats to bolt off. Past that distance, in most cases I will have an opportunity to adjust the rest slightly (although I doubt if I would ever take the shot at past the 40 yrd distance anyway).

FYI - 29 in CE Maxima 350 shot from a 07 Hoyt Vectrix shooting approx. 65 lbs. draw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom