Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is the best pair of hiking/hunting boots

Team Haastyle

Host of Haastyle Hunting
I will be heading to some western states in the next couple of years and need a good pair of hiking/hunting boots. I currently just have a normal hunting boot from Rocky and it doesnt cut it when it comes to walking long periods of time. Looking for something with a great sole, great tread, and good ankle support. What would you guys recommend?

What time of year (early fall, late fall, or winter) and what terrain (mountains or prairies)? Those are all decisions to think about when looking for boots out here. Will you need heavier insulation (800+) or will you be ok with no insulation?

For pretty most all of my spring, summer, and early fall hiking in all terrains here in AZ, I end up wearing my White's Smokejumper fire boots. They are custom made for my feet and are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Of course, I could justify $400 custom boots because of my time on the fireline out here. If not for that, I wouldn't own them and could never justify them. When it gets cold, I typically switch to my insulated Danners (Pronghorns) if I'm doing spot/stalk hunting or snowshoeing, although I don't care for them anymore and end up wearing a pair of 200 g insulated military boots my brother-in-law gave me. My next pair of insulated boots will probably be Danner Canadians or Danner Trophys, although I'm extremely tempted by Kenetrek boots. I know several people that use them now and have nothing but good to say about them for comfort in steep mountains and good, sturdy gripping and support. I also know lots of guys out here use the light weight Danner hiking boots for early season hunts b/c they are light weight, very comfortable, and have good traction. Before I got my White's, all I wore was Danners.

Bottom line, look at the season and terrain you will be in, but you can't go wrong with Danner boots or Kenetrek boots. Both have great support, great soles, are comfortable for all day hiking (with heavy loads) and both are made in the USA. Just like good glass, don't skimp with $$ on boots if you are heading out here (western states, not just AZ). Good glass is great for seeing your quarry or the sites, but comfy, durable boots will keep you out all day, multiple days in a row. And invest in Smartwool hiking/hunting socks with good liner socks (Smartwool or other synthetic liners). That, in combination with good boots, will keep your feet happy and healthy all day!

Last edited:
Getting ready to order a pair of Danner Pronghorns 400gr classics. They are on sale at Cabela's for 139.99 reg. 189.99. Would like some input on these boots if possible. Going to order today or tomorrow. Sale ends Jan.5.

Getting ready to order a pair of Danner Pronghorns 400gr classics. They are on sale at Cabela's for 139.99 reg. 189.99. Would like some input on these boots if possible. Going to order today or tomorrow. Sale ends Jan.5.

I know a lot of people that love them, but I have grown to hate mine (the ones I want to replace). They used to be very comfortable and warm on all day hunts, but the Gore-tex liner seems to have worn out in the last couple of years and my feet now get wet and cold very easy, even when clearing my driveway. Admittedly, I bought them back in 2004, so maybe they have changed the quality, but Pronghorns are still built with a last (footbed) that is not rebuildable so when they crap out, you can't send them back in to be fixed. I call them my throw-away boots. That's why my next pair of Danners will be the Canadians or the Trophys. Again, I know several others that swear up and down by them.

Here are a few links from a local forum regarding boots for you and Haastyle:

Danners:
http://www.rutnhard.net/forum/hunting-gear/1935-danners-worth.html

Boots in General:
http://www.rutnhard.net/forum/hunting-gear/2639-boot-advice.html

http://www.rutnhard.net/forum/hunting-gear/155-good-hunting-boots.html

Good luck to you both!

AZ Hunter,

I will be hunting at the end of February in Arizona and New Mexico in September. What are your recommendations for those areas and time periods?

Thanks

If you are in AZ the end of February, I assume its a javelina hunt (pretty sure that's the only season open)? That means lower desert and grassland habitats. Am I correct? What part of AZ? If that's the case, you can expect cold nights and mornings (typically low 30s) until the sun comes up. 200-400 gram insulated boots help in the mornings, but you'll want light, uninsulated boots for after the sun comes up. I usually wear my insulated boots in the early mornings and then switch to my fire boots when it warms up. I think anything you choose from Danner will meet that. Rocky's are also good as are the Kenetrek hiking boots. For that matter, go to REI and do a search for men's hiking boots and read some of the reviews. Any of them with good reviews will work for desert and grassland hunting. I'm also a fan of the Danner hiking boots. I did all of my hiking in a pair of Danner Light hiking boots until I got my fire boots. 10-12 mile days in the mountains of SE AZ were nothing in those and I've had them recrafted so they are in good shape. Depending on what size they are (8 or 8.5; its been so long, I don't remember) and what size you wear, I'd consider loaning them to you to try out if you are interested. I've heard a bunch of people go with the Radical or 453 hiking boots because of their comfort and light weight. I have an older pair of uninsulated hunting boots that are similar to the Grouse Hunters or Elk Ridge boots and they are great. I've also heard really good things about the Danner Jackals, too. Make sure whatever you choose, you get them waterproof in case we do finally get any of the winter weather we're supposed to have out here (rain in the south/lower elevations, where I'm guessing you'll be).

As for NM in September, I have to assume elk hunting, which will be in the mountains or the Pinyon-Juniper hills. Anything I mentioned above will work just fine for September elk hunting. It doesn't get that cold, unless you are up above 9,000' elevation, but it typically warms up nicely. Again, I only wear my fire boots during our late August/early September archery deer hunt, unless there is rain and then I switch to my uninsulated Danners, which are waterproof.

Feel free to PM me and we can chat more. I can give you my cell # and/or personal email and you can call/email me directly with any questions. If you need anything while you're out here and you are near Flagstaff, let me know. Otherwise, I can still track down some areas to look at in whatever unit you are hunting. Good luck!

I have 3 pairs of Danner Vandels. I wear them for work, hunting, and everyday. they are the best boot I have ever had.

Danner Pronghorns are the best boots I have ever owned. Lightweight and the 400 Gram Thinsulate has been more than enough to keep my feet warm even when we use to have had 0 degree hunting days for late muzzy season.

Cabelas boots by Meindl are awesome! Many different models to choose from if you want thinsulate or uninsulated.

Schnees Hunter II's are very nice, very comfortable and great ankle support. I wore mine Elk hunting in Colorado for 2 seasons and loved them. Maybe a bit warm for bow season though.

Not a fan of Danners. I had the grouse hunters and they were junk after less than 8 mo's. My bro had a pair of the Danner Sharptails and they were the same way. IMO Danner is a good middle of the road boot, but will wear out quickly with hard use. I would spend the extra cash and get something that will last. The Meindl's are twice the boot for about 100 dollars more :way:

I'm a fan of my danner pronghorns. That said, after 4 years the inner soles/arch supports are shot. Still water proof, in fact I was told to never treat them with any water proofer. I'd buy again, for $40ish per yer that's a decent trade off in my mind.

I got a pair of Danner Jackals lightweight and were comfortable, but they haven't been put through any field testing, saving for turkey season.

Thanks for the input guys, especially you Brian! Picked up a pair of Danner Pronghorn GTX 400 Gram...Now the breaking in process begins!

Team Haastyle, I got the same boots. Put them on walked 3 miles shed hunting.They were fine right out of the box. No break in needed. Love them.

They were fine right out of the box. No break in needed.

Yep. The only pair of Danners I've ever had to actually break in were my old fire boots, but then they are made very different than the other Danners I've owned. Good luck on your hunts! The weather should be great and remember to look at all of the water sources!

Top Bottom