Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is the biggest buck?

B

big buck 184

Has anyone heard of the biggest typical buck shot this year?

I was curous at what the biggest typical buck shot in Iowa was. With a firearm. I have one I shot last year that I am going to enter in the contest at the Iowa Whitetail Classic. I believe I have a good chance of winning my category. I would have gotten 2nd place last year.

It scored 184 1/8. It is a 13 pointer.It grossed 190.

If you go to the photo gallery you can see my buck. Go to the 2000 gallery on the second page. It is the top right one, my name is Ryan Scott.

ryanscott.jpg

[This message has been edited by iowawhitetail (edited 01-22-2002).]

Well I think most of it was luck. It was the last day of the first shotgun season. I was walking back to my stand and got about half way when a deer jumped out of a thicket on my right. It paused for a few seconds, so I raised my gun. I saw the deer in my sights but did not think it was that big. I could feel my heart pounding through my coveralls. I took my shot but it started to walk away. After the smoke cleared I reloaded my muzzleloader. I did not think that I had hit it. I walked over to where I last saw him standing. We had a light snow that morning. I found one small spot of blood but no more. I stood there thinking I had just nicked him when I looked down and saw his tracks in the snow. I noticed that he was dragging one of his legs in the snow. So I followed his tracks for about 40 yards, when I saw possibly the best sight ever. I ran up to the deer not believing that I had shot it. I rolled him over a few times looking for a bullet hole with no success. He was still limp so I knew he had not been dead long. When I looked at the snow I saw blood, so I looked again for a hole. I brushed his fur back and finally found the hole. I was so excited when I shot that I did not follow him. So I hit him in the back end and it angled toward his left lung. I would say that it was mostly luck, but still something that I will never forget.

I am not sure on this one, but there was either a 12 or 14 point shot in Howard county I beleive that will challenge the state record that will be showing up at the classic this year, but I aint for sure, the group told me about it, and it sounds like a hog..

Ryan,

Congratulations!!! Nice Deer. I would also like to here the story.

Greg

I shot a Buck this year that scores 176 typical and I'm planning on bringing it to the Deer classic. I thought I might place in the awards but it's not sounding good, although mine will be in the shotgun category. It'll be fun to see all these nice deer though! The picture of mine is in this year's photo gallery under Brent Hutchings' buck.

All,

I want to personally invite readers to bring ALL of their deer to the Classic. I am involved in the measuring area and nothing will please me more than to work those measurers to the bone. Big ones are great and I appreciate the interest but we want ya'll to come. Those of us who live this stuff really appreciate hanging them for all to see just what we grow. Thanks again and hope to get a chance to visit at the show.

John Deere,
Was that deer shot with a muzzleloader or a shotgun?

My brother-in-law shot a 189 7\8 a few years back. With a shotgun in Fremont Co. It will probably be at the classic. It's been touring with the Bass Pro shop tour for a few years. Great buck though Ryan, you'll probably spend the rest of your life chasing giants. A 184 kind of sets your sights differently. Hope you have many years of success in the future...

There was a 12 point shot in NW Iowa with a bow that netted 192 and grossed somewhere in the 182-186 range. What a buck, I have seen a picture and he is very nice. Not sure if he is taking him to the classic or not.

Top Bottom