Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is the latest?

sw outdoor nut

I have only been out a few of times this year for an hour or two and was wondering what the latest sightings are? Daylight movement? More morning or afternoon? I imagine the scrapes are opening open well with new rubs? Are the picked fields (if you have any:rolleyes:) getting hit? THanks for your inputs. I only have two more days of work, then I am off for a week to get it done. Good luck to all:way:

SW

Things are starting to look up! I think next week is going to be real good! I have a big doe that i have been watching with 2 fawns and last night she was all by her self. I also had a buddy text me and said he seen a real nice 12pt chasing a doe last night. It's getting close!:way:

Things are really starting to pick up. Went out last night, and Scared a buck around 3:45-4:00. then, The night before had a bunch start chasing right at dark just about. This morning, Sat in the stand no more than 30 minutes and was about to rattle, when i looked over behind me and sure enough, A buck popped out of the creek bottom behind me and was on the trail of a hot doe. Would of had a shot but my trigger jammed up and it was terribly windy.

Their moving alright, it should be a good one this weekend. Though, its a pain still having the corn in.

Last night had a buck cruise through at 4:30 working a scrape, then nothing until last light I saw a doe and her fawns. Haven't seen any chasing yet.

I have hunted day and night all week and haven't seen but a few deer. I have 6 trail cams going 24-7 and 80% of ALL movment has been at night and only two mature bucks during daytime hours this entire month.

All of that is about to change of course...;)

I have seen some younger bucks chasing does around but nothing serious. As far as deer being in picked fields there is a picked beanfield that every evening I have set up on about an hour before dark deer start pouring into, they just need to work their way over to me.

I have hunted day and night all week and haven't seen but a few deer. I have 6 trail cams going 24-7 and 80% of ALL movment has been at night and only two mature bucks during daytime hours this entire month.

All of that is about to change of course...;)

Ditto to that........7 cams out and 100% nightime activity by mature bucks

if the deer are hitting picked beanfields, this should be a good year to watch them. with the late harvest, there should be more beans left in the fields

The most action I've seen are from a couple stands just off a hidden corner of a standing bean field. Got in there around 4pm and didn't see a single deer until the last 45min of shooting light. Once the sun goes down the flood gates open up. Didn't see any mature bucks but a lot of 3yr olds. Each one of them came out into the field liked they owned the place, posturing each other, ears pinned back but eventually just went to feeding. Also heard an all out brawl going on in one of my clover/chicory plots while climbing into my stand last Saturday morning about 30min b4 sunrise. About a 1/2hr later came along a big 3yr old 7pt that I decided to give a pass to this year

last night seen 130 class ten at 6;00pm just wandering around no chasing yet in my neck of the woods

Was just out this morning and it was a great morning to be in a stand. Got settled in about and hour b4 sunrise and waited for the woods to wake up. About 15min before sunrise I rattled and in came a mature 10pt that I like to call double wide. He proceded to make a couple scrapes and tear up 3 or 4 sapplings then just when I thought he was gonna turn broadside into my shooting lane another young buck showed up and there went the 10 chasing him off. I threw out a grunt and snort weeze to try to stop him, but no such luck. He was gone. Rattled about an hour later and had a 130ish 3yr old 10pt come in. Rattling seems to be working quite well as of recent, at least in my neck of the woods.

Good luck out there

I was out about every evening this week, and on Monday had a good 150" 9 pt. walk within 15 yards and was just in a roaming pattern, and that was at 6:20...apart from that, it was deader than a hammer. With the weather we have had here in eastern Iowa...I'm guessing if the temp is in the low 30's, and this wind dies down like they say it will...tomorrow morning should be reallllly good. I'm also wondering though if the harassed does aren't finding refuge this year in the massive amounts of corn that are still standing. If they are, it could be a real challenge because every standing corn field is a potential bedding area which is going to make it really tough to find those mature bucks. Normally if a doe heads across a corn field this time of year, she can be spotted by a buck forever which makes her head for cover. When you have the most corn standing in the history of harvest during pre-rut...it surely won't be our easiest year...but that's just my rambling thoughts!!!

My brother and I have seen a little something starting to rock...he had 5 bucks around his stand last weekend but none were any too big...probably 3 1/2 year olds but two of them started beating the living heck outta each other so its comin...I'd say this week should be good. I've got next week off so i'm sure hoping it'll be on by then.

Cedar Rapids

Just north of Cedar Rapids city limits I saw a doe running through a picked bean field with her tail sticking straight back. Unfortunately I didn't have time to stick around and see what was chasing her. It will happen starting this week.

i seen the tall brow nine yesterday morning & this morning both,150 class but his body looks small so i let him pass both times,3rd time may be a different story so hopefully he stays away i don't start vacation til the sixth,good luck everyone.

Top Bottom