Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What Now?

I

iowabuck

Well I've got my fourth season tag and ready to go for the weekend. My question is how or what is the key to success during fourth season? Like I've said in my numerous other posts asking these newbie question, I'm new. thanks for all the replies.
wstupid.gif

My success during 4th seasons of the past have been in the afternoon....or at least well after fly down. If you can't get between that big tom and his ladies right after fly-down....let him do his thing for a while. Those hens will leave him to go set on their nests. If you want....sneek out of the timber and come back later and you might find a really lonely gobbler. Or, better yet....get comfortable and sit tight. That big ol' bird might remember your calls that you have been making and might come to investigate. I know you have probably heard it before, but patience is the key. I heard a gobbler sounding off one morning last year, but knew I couldn't get to him without spooking. So, I just snuck out of the timber...and came back after lunch. Sure enough...he was on the same ridge, and gobbled right away to my calls. I didn't get him (the 2 jakes with him must have spotted me and eventually led him away) but it was a blast calling back and forth to him and watching him strut just out of gun range.

On another note, make sure your calling location is a place the bird wants to go.They won't sacrifice security or food very often just to go visit a hen. Later in the season, most of these birds have been called to. Reduce the volume of your calls as soon as you locate a bird and call sparingly. Food sources are a great midday/afternoon setup but remember where the birds are consistently roosted and make that a starting point for your calls. Patience and location has killed more birds for me than anything............

Top Bottom