Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What season is the best?

ChasinTail

I would like to get some of your guys opinion on what season you like the best. i have always liked 2nd the best my self it is still a early season and you have more time to hunt then in first season.

before Iowa I like to get somewhere out of state, this year Kansas. here in Iowa 1st and 4th

If i didnt have alot of other hunters putting pressure on them it would be 4th season.But i do, so i like 1st.

I love opening day! So 1st season for me. And I too like to go out of state, but usually do that in the middle of our seasons. Last year Western Nebraska and Shamrock, Texas in the same week. This year Niobrara, Nebraska! Then back to Iowa for 4th season with my bow.

I've had great success during 1st and 2nd, like it's almost too easy. I've actually never killed a bird during 3rd season, and have shot maybe 7 or 8 during 4th season, but all of those birds came with a lot of hard work. If you can get some time off, I don't think you'll be disappointed going 1st season. :way:

During the youth and 1st season the birds are still flocked up and dont come to the call, but almost any of the older toms come a runnin to kill my old beat up stuffed full strut bird. I dont know how many more times I am going to be able to wire him back together. I learned not to leave it in the blind,damn feather chewing mice.

During the youth and 1st season the birds are still flocked up and dont come to the call, but almost any of the older toms come a runnin to kill my old beat up stuffed full strut bird.

I'd have to disagree with them not coming to calling. Yes they are grouped up still, but that's what makes the early season's so much fun. Have witnessed up to 4 big Tom's all at once come SPRINTING to my decoys and its a race to who can get there first. I do agree that calling can be harder to pull one bird in from the group but, birds have seen no pressure, haven't heard every type of calls and seen every type of decoy spread. Birds are fresh and thats what I like. However all 4 seasons can be awesome, that's why I love Iowa.

The biggest reason I cant call them in earlyseason is because I suck at calling. The only reason my kids and I get our birds is our ugly decoy with his toungue sticking out.

Best season? Right here in Nebraska.
Archery — March 25-May 31
One season, can have three tags.:way:

That's just not even fair Shovel...but your arrows were darts on the range tonight :D

My vote for the best Iowa season would be Archery only...gives you all 4 as an option. That's my plan anyway :way:

NWBuck

I should also mention that after April 16th, the shotgun season is open and you can use the same tag for gun or bow.
Glad the arrows are working.

I like them all. Probably killed most of my birds in 4th season though. It is sooooo easy to stalk them with a gun and blast them.

My first turkey season lasted 12 minutes!! Bought a gun. Mossberg ! Real snappy 3.5 " all camo! 27# bird!!! Damn that was fun!!! 2nd season lasted a little longer!! Fell asleep had two racing for the most pitifull decoy you an imagine! Bang!!!!!!! One down and the other one just stands there!!!!!!!!!!:confused: Ya! That is a hunting challenge!! So! We just do the bow thing!! :way:

2nd and 3rd!!!!

Last edited:
Depends on how you look at it. First season awesome because birds havent been hunted yet, but doesnt include any weekends. Fourth season great because its long, but birds have grown weary of any funny business. If I had my choice and had the time off work, it would be first season every year hands down.

Top Bottom